Selection of Aalto University shop stewards for the period 2020–2021
The duties of the shop stewards are to represent the personnel in matters concerning the interpretation or application of collective agreements and adopted rules and regulations, in matters relating to the application of labor law, in matters pursuant to the Aalto University cooperation agreement as well as other matters required by co-operation procedure, and any other matters relating to the relations between Aalto University and its personnel as required.
In November 2019, Aalto University staff organisations will elect new shop stewards as follows:
The Aalto University local union branch (Aalto-yliopiston ammattiosasto) of JHL ry
The Aalto University local union branch (Aalto-yliopiston ammattiosasto) of JHL ry will elect its shop stewards at its meeting on Thursday 7 November 2019 at 16:00 in the Fazer A Bloc cabinet. The street address of the building is Otaniementie 12. For further information, contact Chairperson Ilpo Kari and Chief Shop Steward Kari Hujanen.
The Aalto University staff association (Aalto-yliopiston henkilöstöyhdistys)
The Aalto University staff association (Aalto-yliopiston henkilöstöyhdistys) will elect its shop stewards at its election meeting on Thursday 28 November 2019 at 15: 30, hall T003, Ekonominaukio 1. For further information, contact Petri Peltonen and Tiina Kotti.
JUKO (Negotiation Organisation for Public Sector Professionals) shop stewards (1 + 13, 7 area- and 6 union-specific) are elected at a total of thirteen meetings to represent Aalto University's more than a thousand JUKO members, i.e. members of JUKO-affiliated unions (see www.juko.fi/tata-on-juko/jasenyhdistykset-ja-liitot-1/, in Finnish or http://www.akava.fi/en/affiliates. There are totally 34 unions of JUKO and two extras in English).
Each one of Aalto's joint services and six schools has an area-specific shop steward, who is familiar with the conditions in their area and who has good contacts with other actors in the area (dean, heads of departments, HR, occupational safety representative, etc.). Union/field-specific shop stewards, on the other hand, are best acquainted with the specific problems in their fields as well as relevant statutes and procedures. Each union member is thus directly represented by two shop stewards.
JUKO rules require that all represented members have an opportunity to participate in the selection of their own shop stewards. Members of Akava affiliates who are not members of JUKO local union branches in Aalto have been therefore grouped with shop stewards closest to their field, and now every JUKO member can participate in the election meetings of both their area-specific shop stewards and their local union shop stewards.
In the past, JUKO's chief shop steward has been elected in connection with these meetings, with each meeting choosing a candidate and the candidate chosen by the majority of meetings being elected chief shop steward. In order to allow as many members as possible to participate in the election of the chief shop steward, the JUKO shop stewards' meeting on 9 October 2019 decided that the chief shop steward election will be conducted online from 25–29 November 2019, in conjunction with the election of occupational safety representatives. If desired, each of the shop steward election meetings may conduct their elections as part of the same online vote with candidates nominated at the meeting.
On 21 October 2019 (at 4:23-4:25 p.m.), the JUKO chief shop steward sent an email to every person the JUKO local union branches informed the chief shop steward of with information regarding which local association they have been associated with. If a member wants to be associated with a different local association than the one they were allocated to, they must notify the chief shop steward at [email protected] by 29 October 2019. Likewise, JUKO members employed by Aalto University who do not receive an email from the chief shop steward on that day should contact the chief shop steward via email by 29 October 2019 with information regarding which union of JUKO they belong to and which local association they feel associates best to their field.
Willing candidates for positions of shop steward may likewise be declared via email to the chief shop steward. Two deputies will be selected for each shop steward. The role of the second deputy is especially suited to those looking to get familiar with shop steward duties without committing to a significant workload right away.
At the end of October, the chief shop steward will email invitations to attend the election meeting of both their area and of the local association they are represented by to each JUKO member that Aalto the chief shop steward has been informed of with. The invitation shall include, in addition to the time and place, information on individuals who have thus far pledged availability for the positions to be filled at that meeting. The decision to stand for election can still be announced in the candidate information phase of the electoral meeting.
JUKO local association shop stewards' election meetings are organised as follows (names of local associations in Finnish, general field of members given in parentheses):
- Aalto-yliopiston lehtorit ry (lecturers), Thu 7 November 2019, 16.15–17.00, meeting room MYLLY (Y227, Otakaari 1). Contact: Hans-Joachim Schulze.
- Aalto-yliopiston tieteentekijät (scientists), Wed 13 November 2019 at 15.00, meeting room 1593, TUAS Building (Maarintie 8). Contact: Stina Giesecke and Mika Karhu.
- Aalto-yliopiston yleisakavalaiset ry (professional and managerial staff), Wed 13 November 2019 at 14.00, meeting space Gustaf, Learning Centre (Otakaari 9). Contact Kirsi Heino and Ville Kivimäki.
- Otaniemen TEK-tutkijat ry (researchers), Wed 13 November 2019 at 10.00, cabinet 1595-6, TUAS Building (Maarintie 8). Contact: Petri Kärhä.
- Professoriliitto ry:n Aalto-yliopiston osasto (professors), Tue 12 November 2019 at 15.00, room V119 Ada-Lovelace (Ekonominaukio 1). Contact: Jorma Skyttä and Esko Niemi.
- Tekniikan asiantuntijat yliopistoissa TAY-TSU ry (ex-YLI) (technological support and services), Tue 12 November 2019 at 10.30, meeting room K101 (building K1, Otakaari 4) Contact: Panu Sainio, Jerri Kämpe-Hellenius and Dan Häggman.
JUKO area shop stewards' election meetings:
- School of Business, Tue 12 November 2019 at 13.00, room V119 Ada-Lovelace (Ekonominaukio 1). Contact: Matti Rossi.
- ARTS, Wed 13 November 2019 at 12.30, M103, Väre (os. Otaniementie 12). Contact: Andy Best-Dunkley and Rasmus Vuori.
- ELEC, Wed 13 November 2019 at 11.00, cabinet 1595-6, TUAS Building (Maarintie 8) Contact: Markus Turunen.
- ENG, Tue 12 November 2019 at 10.00, meeting room K101 (building K1, Otakaari 4). Contact: Panu Sainio.
- SCI, Wed 13 November 2019 at 09.30, cabinet 1595-6, TUAS Building (Maarintie 8). Contact: Tero Haahtela.
- CHEM, Tue 12 November 2019 at 9.15, meeting room A303 (Kemistintie 1). Contact: Jerri Kämpe-Hellenius.
- Aalto U-level, Wed 13 November 2019 at 14.30, meeting space Gustaf, Learning Centre (Otakaari 9). Contact: Kirsi Heino.
Regarding all shop steward elections, you can also contact Kirsi Heino, chair of the elections board, and Tapani Nieminen, chief shop steward.
Associations will provide further details on election procedures to their own members.