Management Information Services (MIS)
The team employs a range of technical means and systems to facilitate information production, refinement and analysis as well distribution. Coordination and planning is executed in close cooperation with other service entities and customers.
- Custom reports and analyses.
- Data for Aalto University KPIs, funding model etc.
- Annual statistics for schools and departments in support for annual reviews and strategic dialogues.
AaltoSampo reporting tool (instructions) for more detailed, real-time information and ad hoc analyses (for management, their support staff and service units).
- Programme reports for programme managers and study coordinators, and a new tool for programme directors (Programme Attractiviness).
- An assortment of analyzing tools and other reports (see list in wiki).
- KPI dashboard for university and school-level management.
- Aalto information portal: reports and datasets (ongoing, 2018 onward).
- Bibliometrical analyses for research assessments and management.
- Bibliometrical analyses in support for tenure track recruitments.
- Publons ResearcherID service for professors.
- Top 10 % publications, scientific level of the recruited professors, co-publications with companies and other key performance indicators on research.
- University benchmarks based on publications.
Reporting services for the use of staff about students, study rights, teaching, studies and degrees.
- Information and statistics requests, tailored reports and analyzes about students, studies, teaching and degrees.
- Aalto data portal.
- OpiAnalyzer application for reporting and analysis of student, studies, teaching and degree information.
- Aalto Sampo application for general-purpose statistics.
Our team implements reporting services and analytics and supports tenure track recruitments. Coordination and planning is done together with HR and Research Services.
- Personnel information and analytics for HR leadership, personnel management and resource planning.
- Statistics for annual reports, interim financial statements and authorities.
- Bibliometric analyses in support for tenure track recruitments.
- Scientific level of the recruited professors based on publication analysis.
- Data for professors’ incentive model.
- AaltoSampo for online HR statistics.
- Self-service reports and datasets on personnel in Aalto information portal (2018-2019)
- Annual reporting to Ministry of Education and Statistics Finland together with Financial services.
- VIRTA student information service and VIRTA publication information service coordination on Aalto’s behalf.
- Data collection for international university rankings.
- Day-today synchronization of artistic outputs to VIRTA (2018)
Data analytics support for decision-making
Besides standard reporting, our team will employ increasingly machine learning and statistical methods supplemented with information visualization to mine internal and external data sources to support decision-making at various organizational levels.
In descriptive analytics, the goal is to describe the phenomenon and/or population (e.g., the distribution and correlation among key variables) at hand, while in predictive analytics the aim is to predict how it will evolve in future. Prescriptive analytics, in turn, aims to give recommendations for future actions.
The analytics results will be embedded in automated online reports or can be made available as traditional documents outlining the key findings. We will also publish datasets that can be used in self-service analytics.
- Automated prediction models for major KPI indicators (2018 - 2019).
- Self-service analytics/visualizations with ready-made datasets (2018 – 2019, as part of Aalto information portal development).
- Data analytics support for optimizing student/personnel recruitment, student feedback etc. Recognition of bottlenecks and problems (e.g., problematic courses).
- Automated triggers and warnings.