To help you succeed as a supervisor, we have gathered information on what is expected of you as a supervisor, how to act in different situations and what tools can you use under the category Management – support and team development. You can have a quick look of supervisor work with elearning. Several trainings that support your development as a manager are available as well.
New Leaders' Onboarding Journey
Start your journey with online onboarding
eLearning provides you with an idea of the supervisor’s role, responsibilities and the areas of leadership. Find the eLearning in MyCourse environment.
Next participate in three leadership trainings
You can complete the three training session in any order you wish.
The first module aims to offer tools for providing direction and leading and organising operations. Questions we are covering during the training are:
The vision and indicators of success
- How to define the purpose of our team’s operation?
- How to implement our strategy in our team?
- What are our team’s objectives and how do we measure our success?
Improvement and development
- How do the changes in our operating environment affect our team?
- How do we improve and develop our operations?
Organising the tasks, responsibilities and authorities and allocating the resources
- How do I organise and delegate work?
- How do I allocate tasks and responsibilities?
- How do we work in the matrix?
Second training module aims to strengthen your people and team leadership skills. Questions we are covering during the training are:
Me as a leader
- What are my strengths as a leader?
- How do I motivate and lead different people?
- How do I communicate & influence effectively?
Building excellence and managing performance
- How do I set objectives, assess performance and promote success?
- How do I give feedback?
- What can I do to ensure continuous development and career development?
Ensure work ability and wellbeing of personnel
- How do I discuss possible concerns and worries with my employees?
- What can I do concretely to promote the wellbeing?
The third training module aims to strengthen your understanding and sharing best practices in promoting co-operation and networking. Questions we are covering during the training are:
Promoting collaboration and networking
- How do I strengthen networking and promote cooperation between teams and individuals?
- How do I utilize group-dynamic processes and strengthen team spirit in a diverse team?
- How can I evaluate my team’s development needs and develop my team further?
Nurturing creativity and innovation
- How do I promote creativity and innovation?
- How do I encourage initiative and risk-taking?
- What can I do to ensure high quality and excellent outcomes?
Exploit 360 assessment and feedback to support your development
You can get more information about 360 assessment and feedback through this link.
Support from your HR is at your service
Remember that your unit’s HR will assist you in your supervisor work. Discuss the possible questions you have at this point considering, for example, recruitment, onboarding, well-being, salaries and leave of absences or the development of the team’s operations with your HR.
Strengthen leadership skills
Continuous development and renewal are necessary for the success of every work community. Successful change implementation always requires management and leadership. You can find support material - tools and practical tips for leading change successfully from here
Do you want to move things forward? Would you like to become more confident in addressing “difficult” topics? Learn to give feedback in a way that lands with the other person and motivates them to take action? Have more impact as a leader? Help your team become more self-managing and less dependent on you? Get people committed to new initiatives? Save time and energy? Use tools that will help you grow both as a leader and when communicating research findings?
This dialogue-focused training will strengthen your ability to both speak up and inquire into others’ perspectives – in order to make full use of everybody’s intelligence.
Hands-on skills for essential leadership dialogues program will give you:
- awareness of different leadership styles and their effectiveness in various situations
- tools for giving feedback and bringing up issues
- increased skills to tap the creative potential of disagreements
- tools for coaching rather than directing people
- practice on the above, with colleagues in ways that allow you to apply the new learnings in day-to-day work immediately
Building excellence together: managing performance and objective discussions
Do you need tools to set your team’s objectives and assessing the performance of team members? Do you wonder how to discuss competence and workloads? Are you wondering what the process and entity of performance management looks like in Aalto?
Join our open training, which aims to:
- Strengthen your understanding of performance management and of what you are expected of as a supervisor.
- Give concrete tools.
- Increase your competence and confidence in having objective discussions.
- Provide you with understanding on where you can ask for support for performance management and promoting success.
This training is carried out as a workshop, which includes practical exercises and discussion.
Leadership programs and forums
Check the detailed descriptions of the programs and forums from here
Aalto Academic Leader Programme brings together a group of Aalto professors to discuss and gain new ideas from each other as well as from Aalto management team members and experts on different aspects of leadership.
Aalto Strategic Leaders’ Journey is a program for Head of Departments and Vice Deans and Leaders in Service units. Participation by nomination.
Aalto Leaders’ Dialogue is a forum for a university-wide discussion on issues relevant to the strategy preparation and implementation, leadership culture and management system of Aalto university. ALD is a forum to share information, best practices, and get feedback from Aalto academic departments.
Professors’ Summit is a biannual event organized by the president of the university. As one day event summit provides a floor for discussing topical university wide challenges and strengthening the community of Aalto professors.
Service Leader Seminar is a form of regular meetings of service directors and service managers of Aalto schools and joint units.