Instructions for the electronic application for readmission
Aalto is introducing an electronic application for readmission. The service will be released in August 2022. Until August, you can use the pdf application (available on Into) for now. The general instructions about applying for readmission (also called return or reinstatement of study right) can be found on Into.
Should you have any feedback regarding the electronic application for readmission or these instructions, please send it to [email protected]
On this pageLoading table of contents
Who can apply for readmission using the e-form?
If you forfeited your right to study due to failing to enrol for the academic year, you may apply for readmission. In order to get back your right to study (in other words, to be readmitted), you cannot have exceeded either the maximum duration of your studies or any extension you have been granted to your study right. If you have no more time remaining in the normative duration of studies towards your degree, you must apply for an extension. In that case, simply submit the form for an extension to your right to study. Your school will then consider reinstating your right to study when processing the form.
Completing the e-form requires you to log in using the Suomi.fi identification site. The Suomi.fi service requires you to have available one of the identification methods they use, for example, your ID for an online Finnish bank. If you have none of the ID methods required by Suomi.fi, you can apply for readmission by using the PDF form. Instructions are available on Into.
There are fees associated with the e-form. You must use the online service Paytrail to pay the fees. At the moment, Paytrail accepts payment by Finnish online banking service, the most widely used credit cards and MobilePay only.
Quick guide to applying for readmission
- Log in to the service via the Suomi.fi service here.
- Complete the information on the form and send it.
- You will receive a notice when the application has been processed.
- If your application is approved, you will need to pay the readmission fee and enrol for the academic year through the service. You can pay and enrol by logging in to the service.
- The information about your enrolment and payment will be transferred to Student Services, where you will be entered into the system again as a student by a Student Services employee.
- You will receive a notice when this data is entered and your right to study has been reinstated.
Instructions on completing the form
Begin by logging in via the Suomi.fi service. If you do not have available any of the ID methods used by Suomi.fi, apply for readmission by using the pdf form.
- After logging in, there are four stages: personal details, study right, document upload, and submission.
- You can move between pages by pressing the Previous and Next buttons.
- To change the language of the form, see the upper or lower margin on the right.
- If you have applied for readmission using the Suomi.fi system before, it will show you your previous applications along with their dates and status.
Required fields are marked with a red asterisk (*).
- The first page has general instructions on completing the form and on readmission.
- The next page shows information on you that was obtained from the student information system Sisu. Check that this information is correct.
If there are errors, correct them here, as the personal details information determines how you will be contacted regarding your application. Please note, however, that any information you modify here will not be entered automatically in Sisu. If your study right is reinstated, you must also go to Sisu and update your contact details there.
- The next page requests your consent for the electronic communications. If you give your consent, contacts with you concerning your application will go to the email address you provide. If you do not consent, you will be contacted by letter at the postal address you provide.
- This page shows all the study rights that you have in the student information system Sisu. Choose the study right that you are applying to have reinstated.
You may only have one application active in the system at a time. If you have more than one study right that you want to apply for, you must apply for them one at a time. When the processing of one application has finished, you can apply for reinstatement of the other study right by submitting a new application.
If you do not see your study right here, please contact Student Services.
- The next page show the study information you selected (school, major, degree programme and your most recent academic-year enrolment). Select the reason for your failure to enrol. Staff of your school will contact you when processing the application if they need more information about the reasons.
On this page you can attach and upload appendices to your application.
You do not need to attach any appendices if your reason for applying is a failure to enrol as attending or non-attending for up to one academic year.
If you failed to enrol for longer than one academic year, attach a goal-oriented and feasible plan (‘graduation plan’) of how, within a reasonable time period, you intend to complete your studies. Doctoral students must attach a research plan, study plan and supervision plan (THOPS).
To attach the appendices, click the ‘Upload documents’ button and the files you want, or drag and drop them into the upload area. The files you uploaded will appear on the application. If you need to remove them, click on the trash (recycle bin) icon.
Submitting your application
On the last page, you must either confirm or cancel submission of the application. Before doing so, you can still make changes by navigating back and forth in the application using the Back and Next buttons. If you exit from the service without sending an application, it is not saved and will not be processed by your school.
When you do send or cancel an application, you will see a confirmation of having done so.
When submitted, your application proceeds to the processing stage. If you wish, you can follow its progress by logging into the online service. There you can see your application ID number and status.
The status may be any of the following:
|New||Your application has been received, but not yet taken up for handling|
|In review||Your application handling is in progress.|
|Waiting for decision proposal||Your application has been reviewed and is pending a decision proposal.|
|Waiting for decision||A decision proposal has been made and is pending the decision.|
|Waiting for registering||Your payment and enrolment details have been received and they are being checked by the Student Services.|
|Updated||You have sent in the additional information requested and your application is now awaiting processing.|
Sending in additional information
If your application is missing a required attachment, a university employee may ask you for additional information in order to complete the application. The request will come to you by email, if you gave consent for electronic transactions, or otherwise by regular mail. You can add the missing information by logging into the service. Instructions on adding attachments are in the ‘Document upload’ section.
When your school has approved or rejected your application, you will be informed by email, if you gave consent for electronic transactions, or otherwise by regular mail. If your application is approved, you must pay the readmission fee and enrol for the academic year.
Paying the readmission fee and enrolling for the academic year
If your application is approved, you must pay the readmission fee and enrol for the academic year. You can pay the fee and enrol by logging into the service.
- On the front page, click the ‘Proceed to payment’ button.
- Read the instructions and choose whether to enrol for the academic year as an attending or as a non-attending student. Enrol for the entire current academic year. The dates of the academic year are from 1 August until 31 July.
Readmission fees are charged to all applicants automatically.
Paying the Aalto student union (AYY) membership fee
- If you are a bachelor’s or master’s degree student, pay the AYY membership fee for the periods in which you are enrolled as an attending student.
- If you are a doctoral student, the AYY membership fee is voluntary.
- If you have another valid study right and you have already enrolled for the current academic year and paid any related AYY fees, choose the option ’I have another valid study right and I have already enrolled for spring term 2022’.
- Click ‘Next’ to see a summary of the fees. The service adds the readmission fee to any AYY membership fee and charges the total to you for payment as a single instalment.
- Click ‘Next’ to go to the payment stage.
Please verify that your choice of attending or non-attending is correct. You may be readmitted only if your enrolment has been done correctly.
Payment stage (Paytrail)
Payments are made via the Paytrail online service. Paytrail accepts payment by online banking service.
Choose your preferred method of payment to proceed to your online banking service.
The screen will show you a confirmation when you have paid.
In autumn 2022, after a succesful payment, you might receive an error message stating that your payment was not completed. After this your application will be in Waiting for registration status, and you won't be able to access the payment phase again. This means that your payment was successful. You don't need to take any further steps and the processing of your application will continue as normal despite the error message. This bug is currently being fixed.
The system sends information of the payment and enrolment to your school’s student services, where a staff member enters the information on your readmission and academic-year enrolment into the student information system. You will receive a notice when the information has been entered. You will receive the notice by email, if you gave consent for electronic transactions, or otherwise by regular mail. The readmission will then be completed.