Companies are main tools in any entrepreneur’s toolkit. In this course you will start from deciding what is the potential role of a company in your life and what is your potential role in the company you start. You will learn the main legal building blocks for a company which helps you to reach your goals as an entrepreneur, be it a freelancing business, consulting company, small business or a scalable startup aiming to change the world.
The core content of the course are basic legal concepts and issues relevant during the lifecycle of a start-up/company/private trader regarding
- Business Entities: purpose, formation agreements.
- Financing: debt/equity main alternatives.
- Intellectual property rights protection: ownership and protection
- Taxation and Social Security
- Contracts and negotiations/liability
- Employment law
- Consumer protection, Marketing Liability
- Data protection
- Corporate Governance and ethical choices.
Kalle Airo, Petra Hietanen-Kunwald
Pre-recored talkshow with expert guests
Status of the Course
M.Sc.-degree, advanced elective course in Business Law
Workspace for the course:
MyCourses online learning environment is a tool for both students and teachers for communication and managing everyday course work. You need an Aalto User ID to log in to the course's MyCourses workspace and participate in teaching. You can activate your Aalto User ID the day after the registration and you should activate it no later than the day before the start of the course. Instructions for activating your Aalto User ID https://www.aalto.fi/en/aalto-university-open-university/aalto-user-id-student-information-systems-and-student
MyCourses workspace https://mycourses.aalto.fi/course/view.php?id=37831
More details on completing the course will be available at MyCourses closer to the start of the course.
The student shall be able to
- understand basic legal concepts and their relevance for the individual entrepreneur, business and society
- describe basics of contract and commercial law as well as taxation relevant for starting and running a business (a start-up/company/private trader)
- describe different forms of cooperation and understand their legal implications
- identify the implications and legal requirements for different exit strategies
- acquire independently information on basic legal aspects for running a business and understand when professional help is needed
This is an asynchronous online course: independent studying and quizzes.
Registration for this course starts 30.1.2023 at 9.00
Registration for this course ends 7.3.2023 at 23.59
No prerequisites. The course is open for all Aalto students, entrepreneurs and other people thinking about setting up a business.
Online assignment, quizzes and exams.
Teaching time and place
The teaching time and the location of the course can be found at Sisu information system here
- The link leads to Completion methods tab of the course page
- From the top of the page (Version drop-down menu), check that academic year 2022-2023 is selected
- From the blue bar, click Lecture and open the Groups and teaching times tabto see the teaching time and the location of the course. Exam times can be seen by clicking Exam.
If you need individual study arrangements in order to attend a course, contact the Open University office ([email protected]) in good time, at least 14 days before the start date of the course or the examination date. Further information individual study arrangements https://www.aalto.fi/en/aalto-university-open-university/individual-study-arrangements-at-the-open-university