Sustainability Science Days Coordinator
Application closes on
This position is a shared position between Aalto University and University of Helsinki
Aalto University is where science and art meet technology and business. We shape a sustainable future by making research breakthroughs in and across our disciplines, sparking the game changers of tomorrow and creating novel solutions to major global challenges. Our community is made up of 12 000 students, 400 professors and close to 4 000 other faculty and staff working on our dynamic campus in Espoo, Greater Helsinki, Finland. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our community’s diversity and inclusiveness. This is why we warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community.
The University of Helsinki is Finland’s oldest and largest academic institution, an international scholarly community of 40,000 students and researchers. In international university rankings, the University of Helsinki usually ranks among the top 100 universities in the world. The University of Helsinki is seeking solutions to global challenges and engendering new thinking for the benefit of humanity. The coordinator will be part of the HELSUS team. HELSUS is the Helsinki Institute of Sustainability Science, contributing to sustainability transformations of societies by means of inter- and transdisciplinary research and education. HELSUS co-creates knowledge through research, experiments, living labs, and best practices for national and international policy, the private sector and the civil society.
We are now looking for a
Sustainability Science Days Coordinator
Are you an experienced event coordinator with a passion to make the world a better place?
Sustainability Science Days (SSD) is a conference event organised by Aalto University and the University of Helsinki. The SSD conference brings together sustainability scientists from all fields of science across the planet. https://www.helsinki.fi/en/conferences/sustainability-science-days-conference-2022
We are looking for a Coordinator to lead the development and management of this annual conference. Both universities are committed to develop SSD to become a globally recognized transdisciplinary event for sustainability sciences and societal change makers in public and private sectors. Your task is to coordinate the development work and the event management work among relevant teams at Aalto University and University of Helsinki. Join us in shaping sustainable futures!
This is a fixed-term full-time position until the end of December, 2024.
Your role and goals
- Responsible coordinator of the development of the SSD concept to increase its positive impact on societies
- Responsible coordinator of the annual event: communication, network building, partnerships and event management, advertising
- Find new partnerships and funding, both private and public
- Develop the academic networks and private sector partner and sponsor networks, together with relevant teams at both universities
- Project and budget management of the event
Your network and team
You will be a part of Aalto Solutions for Sustainability team and HELSUS coordination team, i.e. you will divide your worktime between HELSUS and Aalto. You will also have the support of the event management, partnership and communication teams from both universities.
Your experience and ambitions
What we expect from you?
- At least a Master’s degree or a vocational University degree of comparative level
- Fluent in English
- Previous experience in multi stakeholder project management and international events
We would like you to have
- Experience in working with various groups with different expertise
- Excellent collaboration skills and the ability to inspire and encourage others
- Ambition for networking and communication
- Creativity and curiosity to develop new ways of working
- Passion for building a more sustainable future
Experience of working in an international, academic work environment, and knowledge on sustainability science is an advantage
What do we offer
- Meaningful and inspiring environment. We are proud of shaping sustainable futures. We inspire game changers, and renew societies with research-based knowledge and creativity.
- Culture that inspires and includes everyone. All our work is guided by the values of the two universities: truth, responsibility, inclusivity, courage, freedom, collaboration and wellbeing.
- Responsible and meaningful role catalyzing unique collaboration between two leading Finnish universities to make a real impact towards multidisciplinary, systemic sustainability transitions.
- Independent role with support, coaching and sparring when you feel you need it. There is great freedom in your role, and we have a flexible modern working culture.
- Great possibilities for competence development and learning. Our vast array of professional development opportunities means you will have the chance to participate in staff trainings based on your interests and needs. We value work-life balance and well-being in all aspects of life.
Salary: approximately 3500 – 4000 €/m, depending on your experience.
Ready to apply?
Please submit your application through our recruitment system by 28.8.2022. If you wish to hear more about the position, you can reach out to
- Head of Sustainable Solutions, Aalto University Jussi Impiö via phone 24.8.2022 between 08.30–14.00, +358 50 480 2555
- Coordinator Jasmin Järvinen via e-mail by 1.7. and between 1.8.–26.8. to [email protected]
- Director Susanna Lehvävirta, HELSUS, University of Helsinki via phone 18.8.2022 between 11.00–14.00, +358 50 349 8116
If you are an Aalto employee or visitor, please apply via our internal Workday system > Internal Jobs.
To apply, please share the following application materials with us:
- Motivational letter: Describe why you would be an ideal candidate for this position. Be as concrete as you can – e.g. share a story of a recent accomplishment and of how would you envision to develop Sustainability Science Days!
- Curriculum vitae
We will go through applications and may invite suitable candidates to interview already during the application period. You will hear from us the latest in the second week of September 2022. We aim to have a transparent and equal recruitment process, so feel free to ask us for feedback.
More about Aalto University: