Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and a staff of more than 4000, of which 400 are professors. Our main campus is located in Espoo, Finland. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our community’s diversity and inclusiveness in the future as well. This is why we warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community.
Staff Scientist in Electron Beam Lithography and related nanofabrication technologies
Are you an expert in Electron Beam Lithography and related nanofabrication technologies? Would you like to work in an inspiring, world-class research environment? We are committed to ambitiously building a better world and offer you a chance to participate and contribute to realizing our vision as a member of our community.
Aalto Nanofab in Aalto University, Finland, is looking for a Staff Scientist to manage the daily operations of Micronova nanofabrication facilities. The position is permanent and full-time. The starting date is as soon as possible, but can also be negotiated.
Aalto Nanofab is part of the national OtaNano research infrastructure and operates in Micronova research center. Micronova - jointly operated with VTT - houses the largest academic cleanroom facility (2600 m2) in the Northern Europe with cleanroom areas ranging from ISO4 to ISO6. Nanofab keeps up over 100 production and measurement equipment and supports over 200 scientists who carry out research in a number of fields such as quantum technologies, photonics, renewable energy and microsystems to name just a few. For more information, please see www.otanano.fi.
Your leading role is to provide daily experimental and technical support for research groups accessing OtaNano’s facilities. You will be part of a service team of ten experts with a role in maintaining and developing the cleanroom capabilities for the academic and industrial users. Most of the working time is for service tasks, but the work also includes user support and research-related tasks.
The job includes (but is not limited to):
- Shared responsibility of the EBL tools at OtaNano (primarily two Raith EBPG series systems), including day-to-day routine maintenance and assisting the EBL manufacturer service engineers in troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance tasks.
- Shared responsibility of the development of advanced nanolithography (particularly EBL) techniques.
- EBL user support (pattern and process design, solving problems in the fabrication process). User training for nanolithography (this includes generic and thematic lectures and hands-on support).
- Process maintenance for nanolithography, including documentation and annual tool audits (including tool reliability and performance, preventive maintenance programs, safety issues and documentation).
- Participation in planning of new investments and equipment upgrades leading to continuous improvement of the fabrication and characterization facilities for meeting future needs of the users.
- Participation in and development of the teaching of regular nanofabrication training courses and planning of individual training programs for new cleanroom users.
- Arrangement of lectures on nanolithography by visiting scientists and representatives of equipment suppliers.
- Participating in research conducted at the highest international level, pushing the specific measurement or fabrication technology to its limit or inventing and testing completely new approaches. This leads unavoidably to difficulties and failures where the experience of the Staff Scientist is required in identifying the required measures to solve the problem.
- The field of research relates to nanofabrication
To succeed in this role, you’ll need a combination of strong technical skills, deep expertise in nanofabrication, as well as capability and ambition for research and teaching. Since this is also a service position, it is important that helping others motivates you, and that you can easily get along with different kind of people.
In more detail, you’ll need
- Expertise in electron beam lithography and related nanofabrication technologies. We highly value experience with dedicated 50+ keV EBL writers such as various Elionix and Jeol models and the Vistec/Raith EBPG series.
- Experience in equipment maintenance, user support, and process development
- PhD degree in physical/materials sciences/engineering or related discipline
- Excellent communication and cooperation skills
- Strong organization skills
- Service‐oriented attitude
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Fluent oral and written skills in English
What we offer
We offer you a versatile and interesting position in a vibrant, multi-cultural academic environment. You will be able to use your skills and expertise to develop our world-class research environment, as well as to participate in research conducted at the highest international level.
The starting salary is determined according to collective agreement of Finnish Universities, depending on experience and qualifications, and it will increase with responsibilities and performance over time. We have flexible working time as well as wide range of opportunities to learn and develop yourself. In addition, we´ll offer occupational health care services.
Ready to apply?
If you want to join our community, please submit your application no later than 28 February 2021 using the link below. To apply, please share the following application materials with us (all documents in English as single PDF):
- Letter of motivation (max. two pages)
- Curriculum vitae, including possible teaching experience
- List of publications (top 3 highlighted)
- Educational certificates
- Letter of recommendation (if any)
Should you have any questions about the position, we will be happy to answer. Please contact Nanofab Manager Päivikki Repo. She is best available on Thursdays and Fridays at 10 am (Finnish time). Tel: +358 50 4652635. Email: [email protected]
More information on Aalto as employer: https://www.aalto.fi/en/careers-at-aalto
Finland is a great place for living with or without family – it is a safe, politically stable and well-organized Nordic society. Finland is consistently ranked high in quality of life and was just listed again as the happiest country in the world: https://worldhappiness.report/news/its-a-three-peat-finland-keeps-top-spot-as-happiest-country-in-world/.
For more information about living in Finland: https://www.aalto.fi/services/about-finland and https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/welcome-to-aalto-university-and-finland-info-package.
About Aalto University
Aalto University has been awarded with HR Excellence in Research quality label in European Commission, guaranteeing that we adhere to top quality HR practices in both recruitment and employment relations.