Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and a staff of more than 4000, of which 400 are professors. Our main campus is located in Espoo, Finland. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our community’s diversity and inclusiveness in the future as well. This is why we warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community.
About the Department
The Department of Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering (NBE) aims at understanding of system-level dynamic functions of the human brain, mind and body. The research, enabled by state-of-the-art technology and computational methods, leads to discoveries and technological breakthroughs that contribute to health and wellbeing.
NBE brings together systems and cognitive neuroscience, biophysics, and biomedical engineering. The levels of description range from molecular and cellular measures to noninvasive neuroimaging and behavior. New generations of multidisciplinary scientists and engineers are educated by engaging them with cutting-edge science and technology.
Software developer in biomedical engineering
We are looking for a highly motivated individual to work on software development for an innovative multi-locus brain stimulation device ,. The position will require creation of an integrative software platform for multiple connected devices, with part of work requiring potential hardware-software integration. Our group is aiming demonstrating the breakthrough technology of multi-locus brain stimulation and, depending on your background, you will have several avenues (e.g., embedded coding, web development, database systems, visualization, frontend applications) to provide your contribution.
Software developer Job Responsibilities:
• Evaluates problem definition, requirements, and proposed solutions.
• Develops software solutions by studying dataflow needs, conferring with users, studying data usage of sub-systems, and operational (clinical) workflows.
• Ensures the software development standards and regularly reviews the code.
• Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation.
• Performs periodical systems analysis and recommends changes.
Our wish list for the selected candidate includes:
• B.Sc. or M.Sc. degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline.
• Solid software development experience.
• Experience in applying relevant coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, and testing.
• Hands-on experience developing message-based communications systems using Apache Kafka, or similar system.
• Experience in integrating communication between different platforms and programming languages.
Beneficial experience and knowledge:
• Experience in software architecture definition & design – scoping, planning, implementation, testing, and documentation.
• Experience in development of distributed/scalable systems and embedded coding.
• Experience in medical device software development.
A successful candidate is likely to be an ambitious and resourceful software developer wanting to master high efficiency in dynamic and innovative research and development environment. You will be working in a research team of ~10 persons working on closely connected topics. The work takes place at Aalto University (www.aalto.fi) located in Espoo, Finland, but also possibly in clinical hospital environments located in Finland.
The position is part of a commercialization project that has secured financing for 2 years , with possibility to continue working under larger synergy project for another 2 years . The salary levels are based on the Aalto University policies, typically setting the salary of a software developer to gross 5000 €/month. After commercialization project, there might be an opportunity to continue working in a startup company. We wish to fill this position as soon as possible.
Ready to Apply?
If you are interested in the position, please submit your CV, motivation letter, certificate of studies to our electronic recruiting system Saima using “Apply now!” link below by 15.02.2021. The deadline may be continued if no suitable candidates are found and being able to start relatively soon will be considered a benefit. If you have further enquiries, please contact us by email at Dubravko.Kicic (at) aalto.fi or (for general questions about the recruiting process) Noora.Koskivaara (at) aalto.fi.
NBE – mTMS commercialization project:
ERC Synergy Connect-To-Brain project:
About Aalto University and Finland
Aalto University is an international community: more than 30% of our academic personnel are non-Finns. Finland is a great place for living with or without family – it is a safe, politically stable and well-organized Nordic society. Finland is consistently ranked high in quality of life and was just listed as the happiest country in the world: https://worldhappiness.report/news/finland-again-is-the-happiest-country-in-the-world/. For more information about living in Finland: https://www.aalto.fi/en/services/why-finland