Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and 4000 employees of whom close to 400 are professors. Our main campus is located in Otaniemi.
We are now looking for a
SENIOR ADVISOR IN SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
to enhance the sustainability view in research and teaching.
The new strategy of Aalto University 2021- has sustainable development as a cross-cutting theme. How can the research and teaching at Aalto University foster e.g. the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) of United Nations, or to fight the climate change, or to solve other grand societal challenges? How can we best support and network the research and teaching in our university related to sustainability? The senior advisor will work on these topics.
In particular, your tasks will include
- planning the implementation of Aalto University strategy 2021- related to sustainable development especially in research and teaching
- supporting the research themes of sustainable development for example by networking researchers within Aalto University and outside the university; arranging research seminars; and in other ways supporting the visibility of the research done in Aalto University. All of this will add to the societal impact and visibility of Aalto University.
- supporting teachers and Bachelor/Master/Doctoral programme directors in bringing the view of sustainable development into teaching, courses and course requirements.
- acting as a contact point and mediator for internal and external contacts and queries related to research topics and learning topics of sustainable development
You will work in close collaboration with the Vice President for Research Ossi Naukkarinen, with another Senior Advisor in sustainable development, with Aalto Sustainability Hub, and with professors at Aalto University.
We expect you to have the following qualifications:
- Doctoral degree in a field relevant to sustainable development
- Solid understanding of research and teaching activities and their support processes
- Fluent written and oral communication skills in English; knowledge of Finnish language is considered an asset.
- Ability to network with researchers and other stakeholders both inside and outside the university
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Proactive style of working and problem-solving skills
What we offer
This is a strongly development-oriented role. You will participate in a University wide development process in a topic having strategic importance with a strong view for the future of the planet. You will work with highly talented colleagues in a university well known for its dynamic nature and wide societal impact.
The position is filled on a temporary basis until 30 June 2021 and a potential continuation can be discussed during late 2020 as the sustainability is a key element of the university strategy 2021-. Also candidates having a longer existing working contract at Aalto University can apply and negotiate a temporary leave of absence from their existing position.
Ready to apply?
If you want to join our community of game changers and make a difference, send your application through our recruitment system no later than 27 January 2020. To apply, please share your CV and motivation letter with us.
For more information you can contact Head of Research Services Ella Bingham, [email protected], tel +358 50 384 1501, and Vice President for Research Ossi Naukkarinen, [email protected]. In HR related matters please contact HR Coordinator Kirsi Söderlund, [email protected], tel. +358 50 338 7437.