Postdoctoral researcher on orchestrating sustainable consumption
Application closes on
Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has six schools with nearly 20 000 students and more than 400 professors. Our campuses are located in Espoo and Helsinki, Finland.
The School of Arts, Design and Architecture (ARTS) is an institution of higher education for design, media, architecture, motion picture, art education and art. The current key areas of research are design, digital media, audiovisual representation, art, visual culture, welfare architecture and emerging technologies as well as urban planning and design. The school produces specialists and innovators of art, design and architecture with strong artistic and technical skills.
Department of Design is an academic community of approximately 850 students, 70 doctoral students and 70 faculty members. The department conducts research and provides education in bachelor, master and doctoral programmes across a broad range of subjects and themes. Additional information about the department can be found online: http://design.aalto.fi/en/, http://designresearch.aalto.fi
NODUS Sustainable Design Research Group studies design solutions, business models, bottom-up initiatives and governance innovations which hold potential to contribute to sustainability. Sustainability transitions, socio-ecological transformations, sustainability science, resilience, practice theory, self-organizing systems and futures studies are the central theoretical frameworks NODUS researchers use and contribute into. NODUS pioneers in developing practice-relevant theories within the emerging area of design for sustainability transitions.
We are looking for a
Postdoctoral researcher on orchestrating sustainable consumption.
Towards EcoWelfare State: Orchestrating for Systemic Impact (ORSI) is a research consortium of University of Tampere Faculties of Social Sciences, Management and Business, Finnish Environment Institute, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland and Aalto University Department of Design (Strategic Research Council at Academy of Finland, 2019-2022). The consortium addresses contemporary concerns over sustainability and the future of the welfare state with a particular focus on the capacity and innovative practices of public policy.
Department of Design is recruiting a postdoctoral researcher to join the ORSI project and Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture. The applicant will join the Aalto team and be working with prof. Mikko Jalas on analysing and developing tools for steering citizens and households towards sustainable and fair patterns of consumption. More detailed topic areas are to be negotiated with the applicant, but tentatively include:
- Analysing the existing consumption footprinting tools, the use of footprinting tools by consumers and the impacts of such use
- Analysing the systemic role of footprinting tools in broader change efforts by private and public organizations including municipalities and retail companies
- Redesigning existing footprinting tools and intervention practices to better contribute to transitions towards an eco-welfare state
The main duties involved in a post-doctoral position is to conduct research. In addition, the duties include:
- Interaction with stakeholders within the ORSI project
- Supervision of Master theses in the research area
- Participation in teaching in the Creative Sustainability masters programme (acs.aalto.fi)
- Support for the NODUS research group activities including a public series NODUS TALKS
- Administration related to the ORSI project and the work duties listed above
A suitable candidate has a doctoral degree in a relevant area, for example in the areas of design, business, public administration, sociology, urban studies or human geography. Prior experience in engaged research and qualitative methods is appreciated.
We expect you to have an excellent academic track record and demonstrated capacities for inter- and transdisciplinary scientific research. Finally, very good oral and written proficiency in English and good oral and written proficiency in Finnish is required.
Key selection criteria:
1. Research experience or demonstrable academic interest in at least one of the proposed topics
2. Interaction and networking
- Capacity to integrate different concepts and inputs in a coherent and consistent discourse.
- Networking skills
- Ability interact with private and public stakeholders
3. Availability for incorporation to the job not later than December 1st, 2019
The salary is determined based on the experience and qualifications according to the salary system of Aalto University.
30 months, full-time
The applications should be submitted via the Apply now button below by October 31st, 2019. The application consists of
- Motivation letter (max. two pages)
- List of publications
Please send all your application materials in English and in PDF form.
If you wish to hear more about the position, you can contact Professor Mikko Jalas by email: mikko.jalas(at)aalto.fi. In questions related to the recruitment process, please contact HR Coordinator Elisa Utriainen; elisa.utriainen(at)aalto.fi.
More about Aalto University: