Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has six schools with nearly 20 000 students and more than 400 professors. Our campuses are located in Espoo and Helsinki, Finland.
Aalto University’s School of Chemical Engineering, Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems, invites applications for
Postdoctoral Researcher in the Field of Lyocell Fiber Spinning
IONCELL-F™ is a new sustainable process for the production of man-made cellulosic fibers (MMCFs) based on cellulose pulp dissolution in an ionic liquid (IL), air gap spinning of the solution (spinning dope) in a water (H2O) bath and a subsequent solvent recovery step in which the water is removed from the IL. The whole process is operated in a closed loop . Over the past six years, the process has been developed step by step on a laboratory scale. In addition to the fine tuning of process parameters, mainly in the fiberline, the focus is now increasingly on the development of process-product relationships for a variety of raw materials. A more precise and reliable development of stable spinning conditions is also the subject of further investigations. This work requires knowledge and experience in the physical chemistry of biopolymers and a good basis in polymer analytics.
The position is situated within the Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems on the main campus of Aalto University in Otaniemi.
Your role and tasks
- Learning and performance of airgap spinning according to the Ioncell™ process
- Development of relevant process property relationships within the Ioncell™ process
- Analysis and physicochemistry of ionic liquids, fiber modification and fiber characterization
- Publishing the results in a peer-reviewed journal (optional)
The eligible candidate should have a solid background in polymer chemistry, physics or polymer engineering with experience in biopolymers, preferably cellulose and the corresponding.
The candidate should also have:
- PhD in polymer chemistry, polymer physics or (polymer) engineering
- High motivation for research
- Good written and oral communication skills in English
- Experience in carrying out independent research and working in a team environment
Salary and contract terms
The salary is based on Aalto University’s salary system. The contract includes occupational health benefits and Finland has a comprehensive social security system.
For more information
For additional information, please contact Professor Herbert Sixta ([email protected]) (in matters related to the recruitment process, HR Coordinator Sanni Mero ([email protected]).
Ready to apply?
To apply, please share the following application materials with us (in English and pdf-format):
- cover letter
- list of publications
- short research interest description
- course transcripts of Doctoral degree with grades and Certificate of Doctoral degree
- referees with contact details
Please send your application, at earliest convenience and no later than 16.02.2020 through the online recruitment system (link below).
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.