Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and nearly 400 professors. Our campus is located in Espoo, Finland.
We are now looking for a
Postdoctoral Researcher in Textile Chemistry and Organic Colorants
The newly established Textile Chemistry group at Aalto has an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to develop novel environmentally-friendly textile coloration and finishing methods by reducing the consumption of water, energy, and chemicals. The research will be carried out in the Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems in the School of Chemical Engineering at Aalto University (http://bio2.aalto.fi/en/).
The research work includes:
- Synthesis and purification of polymerizable dyes
- Study physical-chemical properties of the synthesized dyes
- Investigate the coloration properties of the polymerizable dyes
- Optimize the fabric coloration and dye fixation processes
- Study the general fastness properties of the dyed cellulose fabrics
- Educational background in textile, organic, polymer, or applied chemistry (or related fields)
- Recently (max 5 years) obtained PhD
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Excellent communications skills appropriate for interacting with the team members
- Strong commitment to teamwork and multidisciplinary collaboration
- Strong motivation with the mind-set of focusing on deliverables and getting the job done
Terms of employment
Salary is determined according to the salary system of Aalto University and depends on the candidate’s experience. We prefer the selected candidate to be able to start as soon as possible, but the starting date can be negotiated.
As a Postdoctoral Researcher, you will conduct high-quality research under the guidance of the group leader, design experiments, and co-supervise postgraduates and undergraduate research students. You will assist in writing research proposals, scientific papers, and project reports. The position is initially for 2 years, with possibility for extension upon successful progress.
For more information
For additional scientific information, please contact Prof. Ali Tehrani, in matters related to the recruitment process, HR Coordinator Tiina Torvinen ([email protected]).
How to apply (deadline November 15st 2020)
Follow the instructions carefully and submit a single word/pdf document (max. 10 pages in English) through the online recruitment system (NOT by email). The application file should include your Cover Letter, CV, research interest, list of publications, names of 2-3 potential references.
Please introduce yourself briefly in your Cover Letter and justify why you are a suitable candidate by highlighting your skills, knowledge, or previous experience in:
- Organic synthesis and purification
- Organic colorants
- Cellulose surface modification and grafting
- Textile dyeing, printing, finishing
- Photo-polymerization and photo-linking
- Green chemistry
University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period, and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email. So, please refrain from sending follow-up emails.