Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and a staff of more than 4000, of which 400 are professors. Our campus is located in Espoo, Finland.
The Biochemistry group develops energy-relevant biochemical transformations, in particular the interconversion of electricity to fuels. For a project funded by the Academy of Finland, we are looking for a
Postdoctoral Researcher with strong knowledge in Microbial Physiology, Metabolic Regulation or Redox Biochemistry
The goal is to study the reversible interconversion of methane to CO2 and single electrons and potentially to cultivate methanogens and methanotrophs on electrodes or artificial electron carriers.
The project involves direct electron transfer via multi-heme cytochromes to reversibly interconvert alkanes to electricity, a process that mimics the anode of a methane fuel cell at cold temperatures.
Research is carried out at our excellent facilities at Aalto University, School of Chemical Engineering (http://www.bioeconomyinfra.fi/). The laboratories are situated on the main campus of Aalto University in Otaniemi (short metro-ride from Helsinki) within the Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems.
The project may be adjusted according to the talents and preferences of the applicants. Most experiments will be performed in anaerobic chambers or custom-made vessels. It involves growth of genetically modified methanogens or methanotrophs on electrodes in custom-made systems. Possible task areas are:
- Understanding of redox-biochemistry and metabolic regulation in methanogens
- Understanding redox-sensing and substrate switch in methanogens
- Development/synthesis of soluble electron donors and acceptors
- Cultivation of methanogens or methanotrophs in bioelectric systems
- PhD in a suitable field, such as Microbial physiology, Biophysics or Redox biochemistry or Electromicrobiology
- Be highly committed to science and strive for excellence
- Develop own smart ideas and think independently
- Be able to focus on solving tough scientific problems
Skills, knowledge or interest in some of the following areas are highly appreciated:
- Microbial physiology and regulation
- Organic chemistry for synthesis of redox active compounds
- High-end laboratory infrastructure and friendly colleagues
- Opportunity to work in a newly established research group
- Freedom to bring in own ideas
- Funding for 2 years
For more information
For additional scientific information, please contact Prof. Silvan Scheller, in matters related to the recruitment process contact HR Coordinator Tiina Torvinen, e-mails: ([email protected]).
How to apply (deadline August 31st, 2020)
Follow the instructions below, submit only pdf files:
- Cover letter (start as follows: “I am interested in this position because… “)
- CV, incl. list of publications
- Research interest description (focus on future research, mention tasks you are particularly interested to perform)
- Names and contact details of references
All materials should be provided in English through the online recruitment system (link below).
University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.