Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and nearly 400 professors. Our campus is located in Espoo, Finland.
Master`s thesis position available on User Experience in Biomed
We are looking for a design student to join our multinational and multidisciplinary team. The topic for the Masters Thesis includes:
- Conducting user research to specify the requirements for the system. This includes possible visits to sites in Finland, Italy and Germany.
- Designing the user experience (and user interface) for a novel biomedical device, which will be used for both research and clinical applications.
Preferred starting time: January 2020 or as soon as possible.
The work is done as a part of ConnectToBrain project, which is funded by the European Research Council (ERC) and conducted as a collaboration between Aalto School of Science, University of Chieti, Italy, and University of Tübingen, Germany. The work on the Masters Thesis project is financially compensated according to the Department of Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering guidelines up to 6 months.
Possibility to make the Master’s thesis in team. The joint thesis can be done with a student from the engineering school, in which each other collaborate through the Master’s thesis works.
Description of ConnectToBrain Project
The goal of the ConnectToBrain* project is to develop next-generation multi-locus transcranial magnet- ic stimulation techniques that allow to shift the stimulated site in the brain electronically and to generate algorithms that stimulate brain networks in a feedback-controlled way.This European Research Council
(ERC) Synergy project is conducted as a close collaboration between Aalto University, Finland; University of Chieti-Pescara, Italy; and University of Tübingen, Germany.
* Connecting to the Networks of the Human Brain, cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/224570
Ready to apply?
Please, submit your application with a brief introduction about yourself, your experience, and describe your studies through our recruiting system using “Apply now!” link below, latest by 15.Dec 2019.
- Success in studies of a relevant field, such as industrial design or similar.
- Studies in a suitable stage to undertake Masters thesis project.
- Proven skills in user interface design and user experience research.
- Expressed motivation towards the goals of the project.
- Ability to work full-time on-site at Aalto University, Finland
Chair: Professor Risto Ilmoniemi, ConnectToBrain Coordinator
Dr. Juuso Korhonen, ConnectToBrain UX Team Leader
Dr.Timo Roine, ConnectToBrain Project Manager
Dr.Tuomas Mutanen, ConnectToBrain Software Team
If you wish to hear more about the position, you can reach out to:
UX Team Leader, ConnectToBrain
Prof. Risto Ilmoniemi
Head of the Department
Neuroscience and Biomedical Engineering