Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and tackling grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has been ranked the 9th best young university in the world (Top 50 under 50, QS 2018) and one of the world’s top technology challenger universities (THE 2017), for its outside-the-box thinking on research collaboration, funding and innovation. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and 4000 employees, of whom close to 400 are professors.
The Department of Electronics and Nanoengineering conducts research and arranges related courses in the field of electromagnetics, micro and nanotechnology, radio engineering, and space technology, featuring an international team of more than 150 Researchers and Research Assistants. The Department is part of the Aalto University School of Electrical Engineering (Aalto ELEC) with world-class research facilities and instruments.
The Designer Materials and Devices Group at the Department of Electronics and Nanoengineering is inviting applications for a
Doctoral Candidate (PhD) in the area of Nanophotonics
The range and strength of photonic properties of natural materials are often limited and cannot satisfy rapidly growing needs of the modern industry. This circumstance has led to the emergence of an important category of designer materials which embraces composites, colloids, photonic crystals, metasurfaces, and others. The key aim of this field is to develop new materials with desired properties (inverse problem) and to explore and invent principally novel functionalities. Designer materials have been suggested to host a variety of unique phenomena, such as photonic band gaps, electromagnetic cloaking, and negative refraction. Moreover, they have already proven themselves as being highly application-oriented, yielding novel optical fibers, optical components, compact lenses, detection schemes for biosensing, and many other.
Your role and goals
Our group focuses on theoretical, computational, and experimental research on metamaterials and metasurfaces with their specific applications for advanced nanophotonics. The doctoral student will join a multidisciplinary project and conduct research on developing novel optical metamaterials and photonic crystals, as well as devices based on them. The research will have strong theoretical, simulation, and experimental components. The project has strong fundamental and industrial relevance and will also involve proof-of-concept experiments at near-infrared or visible frequencies. The primary language of communication within the group is English.
The expected starting date for the position is September 2022, and it is intended for full-time work. The selected individual will work under supervision of Assistant Professor Viktar Asadchy. The successful applicant will have a possibility to cooperate with world-class researchers at the Department, publish in high-profile journals, contribute to teaching of students, attend scientific conferences, and go on research visits to the external collaborators. Moreover, the research group provides strong support and academic freedom, with possibilities for interdisciplinary collaboration, both internationally and within Aalto University.
As a doctoral candidate you will:
- Publish in top journals and participate in scientific conferences
- Participate in research proposal preparation
- Guide master's students
- Taking advanced postgraduate courses
- Participate as a teaching assistant for a minimum of three courses
- Undertake one or several research visits abroad to external partners
Your background and expertise
As a successful candidate for this position, you should have:
- An undergraduate degree and a master’s degree (or equivalent) with major in physics, optical engineering, electromagnetics, or electrical engineering.
- Solid background in electrodynamics and excellent mathematical skills.
- High proficiency in Matlab, Mathematica, or similar programming software.
- High motivation and creativity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including presentation skills.
- Highly proficient English language skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to details and ability to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to learn and work collaboratively in a research environment.
- A strong commitment to her/his own continuous professional development.
Skills, knowledge, and abilities in the following areas are not required but highly desirable:
- Proficiency in electromagnetic simulation software, such as COMSOL Multiphysics, ANSYS HFSS, or CST Studio Suite.
- Solid background in one or few of the following subjects: magneto-optics, special relativity, quantum field theory, photonic topological insulators.
- Possible experience in nanofabrication is a plus.
What we offer
The doctoral studies at Aalto University take approximately 4 years. The doctoral degree is granted after collecting required study credits, writing a doctoral thesis, and a public defense. Currently, the starting gross salary for doctoral students is approximately 2500€/month and salary will increase with responsibilities and performance over time and towards getting the doctoral degree to over 3100€/month.
Following the standard practice in the Department, the contract will be made initially for two years, then extended to another two years after a successful mid-term progress review. The contracts include occupational health care services (health insurance). Among European cities, Helsinki is special in being safe, clean, and close to nature, with a high quality of life. English is spoken everywhere, and the University offers free introductory courses in Finnish. Our Department is very international with professors and students coming from all around the world.
Ready to apply?
Please submit your application through our eRecruitment system (link ‘Apply now’ below) by 31 May 2022, and include the following documents in English in a single PDF file:
1. CV (including list of publications, if any, and names of two references)
2. A summary of the master’s thesis and accounts for suitability of the candidate for this doctoral candidate position. Maximum one A4 page.
3. Certified copies of master´s and bachelor´s degree certificates (or equivalents) and their translations if the originals are not in English.
4. Official transcript of records for both master’s and bachelor’s degrees and their translations if the originals are not in English.
5. Proof of proficiency in English if the applicant is not a native speaker.
Please note: Aalto University’s employees and visitors should apply for the position via our internal system Workday -> find jobs (not external aalto.fi webpage of open positions) by using their existing Workday user account.
We encourage candidates to apply early, as we will start reviewing candidates immediately. Applications will be considered until the position is filled. Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period.
If you wish to hear more about the position, you can reach out to Prof. Viktar Asadchy (viktar.asadchy at aalto.fi). For questions related to recruitment please contact HR Coordinator Riina Hiirikoski (riina.hiirikoski at aalto.fi).
Want to know more about us and your future colleagues? You can watch these videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k_og_6zUJQ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUfEGVM-ZP8&feature=youtu.be
About Aalto University and Finland
Our campus is located in the capital area of Finland. With 40% of our academic faculty coming from outside Finland, we are a highly international community with strong academic standing. We warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community. Finland is also an exciting place to live, renowned for its nature, its highly educated, family-friendly and life-work balanced society. For the fifth year in a row, Finland continues to be ranked as the happies country in the world.
Check out our new virtual campus experience: https://virtualtour.aalto.fi/ !
For more information about living in Finland, please see: https://www.aalto.fi/services/about-finland.
More about Aalto University: