Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and nearly 400 professors. Our campus is located in Espoo, Finland.
Aalto University School of Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering invites applications for
Doctoral Candidate in Numerical Modelling of Thermal Radiation in Fires
The Department of Civil Engineering is seeking an outstanding Doctoral Candidate for research on advanced modelling of thermal radiation in fires. The doctoral candidate position is available in the Fire Safety Engineering group. For more information of the research and teaching at the department, go to http://civileng.aalto.fi/en/. More information on the Fire Safety Engineering group activities at http://blogs.aalto.fi/fire.
Thermal radiation is the dominating mode of heat transfer in large fires. Numerical models for the radiation emission, transport and attenuation in absorbing and scattering media are key elements in the state-of-the-art, CFD-based fire simulation software. These computer programs are used for the research and engineering applications of the fire safety design and risk analyses.
The research will focus on developing the numerical methods to efficiently account for spectral thermal radiation of gases in fires. It will focus on studying the importance of gas, and soot spectral radiative properties in various thermal condition of fires. The need of modifying/correcting the module of radiative properties of RADCAL used in an open source software of fire dynamics simulator (FDS) will be checked and performed. Accordingly, development and implementation of non-gray global models into open source CFD codes will be done. Studying the hybrid connection of gas radiation solver with flow LES solver, combustion solver and radiation penetration into condensed phase will be done. The computations will be performed using an open-source software Fire Dynamics Simulator (FDS) - the globally most widely used simulation program for fire safety.
-The candidate should have an MSc degree in Mechanical Eng. (Thermo-Fluid), Energy Technology, Technical Physics, Chemical Engineering or equivalent qualifications with excellent grades.
-Background in computational research is required.
- The applicant should be highly motivated, goal-oriented, and can work with mainly computational tasks both independently, as well as in collaboration with a research team. The applicant must be fluent in English (Proficient user), both in speaking and in writing.
Expected skills and knowledge:
- Programming skills and the knowledge of computational techniques and numerical method in general.
- Strong knowledge in the mathematical models of heat transfer.
- Experience with programing with Fortran, Open-source CFD codes and performing parallel computing on Linux environment are assets.
- Capability to collaborate in an international research community with English language is also needed.
Contract and salary
The doctoral candidate position is contract-based; one year contract is granted first, followed by possible extensions of 1+2 year periods depending on the achievements during the first contractual period and on an admission to do postgraduate studies in the School of Engineering.
In a maximum of four years, the doctoral candidate is required to 1) complete the doctoral dissertation, 2) finish relevant courses for 40 ECTS credits and 3) participate in teaching. The applicant must fulfill the requirements for entitlement to do postgraduate studies at Aalto University: https://into.aalto.fi/display/endoctoraleng/How+to+apply
Aalto University applies the salary system of Finnish universities.
For more information
For further details, please contact Associate Professor Simo Hostikka : [email protected] / +358 50 447 1582 and Dr. Hadi Bordbar: [email protected] /+358 40 038 7607 and for further information regarding the recruitment process, contact HR Coordinator Ida Nieminen [email protected]/ +358 50 302 3722.
How to apply
The applications for the doctoral candidate position are to be submitted through eRecruitment System (link 'Apply for this job' below) no later than December 4, 2020. Potential and interested candidates are encouraged to contact us even if they are still finishing their MSc degrees, as the starting time is flexible.
Required application documents:
- A motivation letter
- A certified copy of master´s and bachelor´s degree certificate and official transcript of records, and their translations, if the originals are not in Finnish, Swedish or English. (Minimum average grading requirements: https://into.aalto.fi/display/endoctoraleng/How+to+apply)
- A summary of the master thesis and accounts for suitability of the candidate for this doctoral candidate position. Maximum one A4 page is allowed for the document.
- Proof of proficiency in Finnish, Swedish or English if the applicant is not a native speaker of or educated in any of them. (Language skill proof requirements: https://into.aalto.fi/display/endoctoraleng/How+to+apply)
- A list of publications, if any.
- A certified copy of master´s and bachelor´s degree certificate and official transcript of records, and their translations, if the originals are not in Finnish, Swedish or English. All material should be submitted in English and in PDF format.
Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open, to extend the application period and to consider candidates who have not submitted applications during the application period