Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has six schools with nearly 20 000 students and more than 400 professors. Our campus is located in Espoo, Finland.
The School of Arts, Design and Architecture (ARTS) is an institution of higher education for design, media, architecture, motion picture, art education and art. The current key areas of research are design, digital media, audiovisual representation, art, visual culture, welfare architecture and emerging technologies as well as urban planning and design. The school produces specialists and innovators of art, design and architecture with strong artistic and technical skills.
Department of Design is an academic community of approximately 850 students, 70 doctoral students and 70 faculty members. The department conducts research and provides education in bachelor, master and doctoral programmes across a broad range of subjects and themes. Additional information about the department can be found online: http://design.aalto.fi/en/, http://designresearch.aalto.fi
The position is located at Department of Design research group Fashion/Textiles Futures.
We are looking for a
Designer in Residence in Smart Textiles
Department of Design is recruiting a Designer in Residence to join the Solar Powered Textiles project in Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture. The applicant will join the team at Aalto to conduct a creative design practise, to coordinate the project and to support in the project research activities. The selected candidate will be working with Post Doc. Elina Ilén and other colleagues at Fashion Textiles Futures and Applied Physics (SCI) as well as company partners of the project.
The research carried out in a two-year co-Innovation project funded by Business Finland (Sun-Powered Textiles, 2019 - 2021) involves close interdisciplinary collaboration with physics researchers and the Finnish textile and electronics industry. Combining expertise in photovoltaics and textile design, an interdisciplinary research team at Aalto University has developed an efficient, durable, and aesthetic concept for integrating solar cells with textiles to provide energy-autonomous operation for wearable electronics and smart textile applications.
The main duties involved in a Designer in Residence -position are related to product development activities within Solar Powered Textiles.
In addition, the duties include:
- Coordination and interaction with partners and stakeholders within the project
- Supporting the project in research activities
- Administration and dissemination tasks related to the project
A suitable candidate:
- has at least a Master degree in textile and clothing engineering and Bachelor degree in textile design.
- is experienced in creative practices of electronic-based smart textile product design, manufacturing technologies and global commercializing of such products.
- has over 5-year experience of New Product Development (NPD) in the business sector having the demonstrated capabilities to lead and manage NPD project.
- has a good command of contemporary ITC and design tools for group work in the creation of innovation and product development.
Finally, you have high interest and good capabilities to multi-channel dissemination actions. Also, A fluent oral and written proficiency in English is required.
Key selection criteria:
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both as a member of a team and independently when required, to meet project outcomes and milestones
- Good networking and communication skills and ability to interact with private and public stakeholders
- Availability for incorporation to the work in January 2020
The salary is determined based on the experience and qualifications according to the salary system of Aalto University.
2.1.2020-30.6.2021, 18kk, 80% time
The applications should be submitted via the Apply now button below by 22nd December 2019. The application consists of
- Motivation letter (max. two pages)
- Portfolio of 5 most significant projects and/or publications
Please send all your application materials in English and in PDF form.
If you wish to hear more about the position, you can contact Elina Ilén; elina.ilen(at)aalto.fi. In questions related to the recruitment process, please contact HR Coordinator Elisa Utriainen; elisa.utriainen(at)aalto.fi.
More about Aalto University: