Digital Business Master Class (spring)
Topics of the Digital Business Master Class (DBMC) include data-driven business, business design thinking and implementation of new technologies. Learning experiences range from insightful discussions in class to multidisciplinary teamwork and corporate collaboration.
The course includes 2 weeks of intensive project work, as well as independent pre- and post-work periods. Students start working on background research for the project already during the pre-work phase.
The project partners can be large or small business enterprises, NGOs, or public organizations. In recent years, we have partnered with, for example, companies like CGI, Finavia, Finders Seekers, Fortum, Helkama Bica, Konecranes and Posti, as well as local startups like Lola&Lykke and Jono App.
The projects for the course should be connected to themes of digitalisation. Examples of suitable case topics include:
- Opportunities in platform economy
- Digital marketing optimisation
- Developing organisational culture with technology
- Applicability and benefits of new digital technologies
- Digital value creation and new business concepts
What can the company expect from taking part in this project?
- New perspectives and ideas from an international and multidisciplinary student team
- Recommendations based on the newest information of digital business
- Innovative problem-solving
- A report and presentation that present the recommended concept or solution to the company’s digital challenge
What is required from the company?
- Outlining an interesting case topic together with the DBMC program manager
- Hosting a company visit and case briefing for the student team
- Helping student teams with company-specific questions and direction of the project during the intensive project work phase
- Attending the final presentation and giving feedback on project results
Atso Andersen, Lead Consultant, Regulatory Compliance and Risks, CGI
We received clear and practical solutions, and the students summarized a complex situation in a very concise way.
What do the students receive?
During the Master Class, students learn how companies transform their processes and systems by implementing digital technologies. Students attend classes and workshops given by academic and industry lecturers. The main learning experience is challenge-based: students work in international and multidisciplinary teams to solve real business cases from company partners. The project work can include, for example, background research, interviews, data analysis, design thinking, etc., depending on the topic.
The main learning objectives for students are:
- Explore and implement key topics in digital business
- Differentiate between digital transformation and digital optimisation
- Evaluate the constantly evolving digital business landscape both locally and globally
- Gain theoretical and practical knowledge on digital strategies
- Work in international multidisciplinary teams
- Apply project management in virtual and on-site projects
- Develop recommendations for real-life case
- Contact: Laura Kitinoja, Program manager, [email protected], tel. +358 50 577 2755
- Project duration: February-March 2023
- Number of students per project: 4-5
- Project fee for a company: No fee
- Application period for companies: November 2022 -January 2023