The concept of "Industrial Internet" has recently emerged as a topic of considerable attention in the industry both internationally and in Finland. While covering other well-known themes such as "Internet of Things" and "Cyber-Physical Systems", the level of ambition of the concept has been raised to no less than changing profoundly how the manufacturing industries base their operations to ICT by exploiting novel technologies such as sensors, actuators, wireless networks, clouds, computational modeling and simulation, and mobile user interfaces - in short, bringing manufacturing industries and their ecosystems truly to Internet age.
The industrial internet encompasses the application of information and communications technology in industry and within society for improving the efficiency of operations and the creation of new added value for customers and users. Internet and mobile technologies have changed to become generally and easily available tools with which it is ever simpler and cheaper to develop applications. Through their use, the industrial internet enables new industrial and service businesses by linking intelligent devices, and the people that use them, to analysis and decision making.
‘The disruptive impact will be seen in industry, services and in the public sector as well. It is vitally important for Finnish companies and other institutions to get involved quickly and effectively in developments and influence their direction,’ points out Professor Martti Mäntylä from Aalto University.
Finland has all the prerequisites for success: competitive and international technology industry, solid ICT skills as well as a public sector that is well-managed and capable of reform. Many companies that operate in global markets have already realised the importance of the industrial internet.
Key professors at Aalto:
- Professor Martti Mäntylä, leader of Aalto Industrial Internet Campus
- Professor Kalevi Aaltonen
- Professor Antti Ahlava
- Professor Sven Bossuyt
- Professor Kalevi Ekman
- Professor Mario di Francesco
- Professor Heikki Hämmäinen
- Professor Riku Jäntti
- Professor Petri Kuosmanen
- Professor Esko Niemi
- Professor Juhani Orkas
- Professor Jouni Partanen
- Professor Matti Rossi
- Professor Henri Schildt
- Professor Riitta Smeds
- Professor Stavros Tripakis
- Professor Ville Viikari
- Professor Pedro Vilaca
- Professor Valeriy Vyatkin
See also professors listed under Intelligent Machines
Senior researchers and adjunct professors:
- Aalto Industrial Internet Campus (AIIC)
- Digital Disruption of Industry (DDI), project funded by Strategic Research Council (STN)
- Prime Minister's Office report by Aalto, VTT and ETLA: Suomesta teollisen internetin Piilaakso / Turning Finland into the Silicon Valley of Industrial Internet
- Industrial Internet requires dialogue between universities and corporations -- Seminar 16 June 2015
- Professional diploma program "Teollinen internet" aimed at mid-level managers and specialists, provided by Aalto PRO