Digi Event Support
Our goal is to support knowledge-sharing and collaboration related to digitalization.
We fund and provide organizational help for community-born events.
If you are a researcher, staff member or student at Aalto and your event idea
- brings together people across Aalto schools, departments and disciplines,
- is related to digital technologies or computer sciences,
- perhaps connects to industry or the grand public (not mandatory),
you're eligible to apply!
They typical funding we grant is from 500 to 1500 euros, but we may consider larger grants for events that aim for a larger audience.
See frequently asked questions and answers (Q&A) about funding and event organization support below.
All students and employees of Aalto university may apply.
In addition to funding (typically between 500 and 1500 euros, more for larger events), we can help you with practicalities, such as
- advertising the event,
- event website & registration,
- venue bookings, and
Note that we expect you to know the (perhaps tentative) program and structure, with named speakers etc., of your event when you are applying for support (see Tips for a good application below).
For more information about how the platform can help you in practice, contact [email protected].
Your event should be somehow related to digital technologies and bring together Aalto people. In practice, it can be anything: a pizza seminar, a hackathon, a workshop…
The objective of Digi Platform to enhance collaboration, visibility and impact of Aalto’s research and education in computer science and digital technology in general, so successful applications are expected to clearly support one or more of these objectives. There is no restriction on the number of the proposals that one person can submit, but in the funding decisions, we may also consider the overall balance between the various fields.
You can apply by filling this form. The main applicant will be the contact person and also responsible for reporting (see If I get funding, what do I need to do?).
If you have any questions e.g. about the feasibility of your idea, please contact us at [email protected].
The Platform board decides on funding applications. We strive to decide on your proposal within two weeks of submission.
A good application should clearly and concisely explain
- What is your core topic and why is it important (demand)
- Why it fills an otherwise empty niche (supply)
- Your target audience within and outside of Aalto
- How you plan to market your event (we can help spread the word, but you are the expert of contacts in your field!)
- How your event will enhance collaboration and/or knowledge sharing between actors in your field.
Before your event (the earlier, the better!)
- Contact us about the organization details: where do you need help?
- Put the program together (invite the speakers, etc.)
- Start advertising. Please mention our sponsorship in your marketing materials. It is of key importance to draw on your own networks and directly contact the relevant parties.
- Keep us up to date: send the program to us as soon as possible. If your event has talks given by invited speakers, please send us their photos and short biographies. These will be updated to the event website (see example).
During the event
- Be the host to the participants and speakers
- Work with the catering & venue staff (Platform personnel will help with orders, etc., but will not necessarily be present at the event)
After your event
- Provide a list of participants
- Write a short news item (just a few paragraphs; with pictures) to the Digi Platform website
- Optionally, give an informal postmortem presentation to the platform board
- Optionally, provide feedback for Digi Platform in what went well and what did not so we can tune the event support process (please!)