Metallurgical Thermodynamics and Modelling
The Research Group for Thermodynamics and Modelling Prof. Pekka Taskinen. The Group is responsible for teaching and research in metallurgical thermodynamics. The research projects focus on experimental thermodynamics. The industrial projects deal with metal-making processes in the areas of liquid and solid phases (e.g. flash smelting, roasting of sulphides, and salts decomposition by the fluidized bed technology). To support the experimental study, the group has databases and software for modelling and equilibrium calculations, and good connections to foreign research groups in the area. The Group is establishing National Centre of Thermodynamics, in cooperation with external partners.
- Properties of impurity minerals in Cu, Ni, and Zn extraction*,
- Freeze lining formation in Cu-smelting furnaces,
- Behaviour of trace elements in copper scrap smelting**
- Novel steelmaking concepts,
- Thermodynamics of copper smelting slags***,
- High-temperature corrosion,
- Precious metals extraction,
- Trace metal streams and extraction in copper and nickel smelting****,
- Aqueous thermodynamics (modelling of strong industrial solutions) and
- Thermodynamic assessments of slag systems.
* Tekes ELEMET program, ** Tekes ARVI program, Tekes SIMP program, ****Tekes