Master’s Programme in Global Management
120 opintopistettä (ECTS)
2 vuotta, kokopäiväistä opiskelua
Alempi korkeakoulututkinto soveltuvalta alalta tai vastaavat opinnot.
15.12.2017 - 24.01.2018
Are you interested in building a successful international career? The Global Management programme with CEMS Master’s in International Management equips students with skills and know-how needed to act as game changers in tomorrow’s global business environment.
CEMS – global quality
CEMS is a global alliance of 30 leading business schools, close to 80 multinational companies and NGOs which together offer the top-ranked, international and practice-oriented CEMS Master’s in International Management (MIM) programme. Globally more than 1000 students enroll in CEMS MIM every year and there are over 12 000 CEMS alumni of 85 nationalities working in 75 countries.
Consistently ranked among the top in the world by the Financial Times, the CEMS MIM unites multinational companies and international-caliber professors from leading universities and business schools.
Earn two qualifications at the same time
The Master’s Programme in Global Management (GM) offers the students two highly prestigious qualifications: MSc in Economics and Business administration granted by Aalto University School of Business and CEMS Master’s in International Management (MIM) granted by CEMS, the Global Alliance in Management Education.
The programme consists of:
1. a specialisation area with a Master’s thesis in one of the following areas:
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management
- Management and International Business
- Marketing or
- Strategy; and
2. CEMS MIM studies conducted at Aalto University and at another CEMS school.
During their first MSc year, students complete the specialisation area courses and the Master’s thesis. The second year incorporates most of the CEMS MIM components, including an exchange semester at another CEMS school.
In addition to the Aalto MSc degree, the student has to complete an international internship and fulfil CEMS MIM language requirements in order to obtain the CEMS MIM diploma.
The Global Management MSc programme with CEMS MIM has a fixed, carefully designed curriculum, and it calls for ambitious students interested in growing professionally as well as personally to assume ethical and responsible leadership roles in the future.
You learn to solve interdisciplinary problems in an international context and are encouraged to adopt an analytical and critical approach in lectures, discussions and project works.
The CEMS Corporate partners contribute to numerous curricular activities:
- Real-life course cases
- Business projects
- Seminars on practical skills
- Company visits
Outside of academic activities your student life is enriched by activities of the CEMS Club and other student associations. The CEMS experience continues even beyond graduation in the global alumni network.
Please see www.cems.org for more information of the global alliance and the CEMS MIM Programme.
Global Management programme grows confident, agile, and reflective decision-makers that will be able to apply innovative solutions to complex international business challenges. In addition you will be able to specialise in your chosen discipline.
Upon completion of the programme you will be able to:
- Execute effective business decision-making and change management in diverse global contexts;
- Apply modern management and leadership skills developed through systematic engagement with the corporate world;
- Master deeper knowledge in your specialisation area;
- Champion responsible business decision-making, leadership and citizenship, informed by ethical reasoning, personal integrity, and respect for social diversity.
The graduates of the CEMS MIM programme have exceptionally good career perspectives. Over 90 % of all CEMS-graduates are employed in less than 3 months from their graduation. Almost half of them work outside of their home country and approximately 40 % now work for a CEMS Corporate Partner.
See the descriptions of the specialisation areas to find out more about the career prospects specific to the different fields: Accounting, Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management, Finance, Management and International Business, Marketing and Strategy.
In addition to acquiring knowledge and a wide skill set, you can build a lifelong network of contacts with your fellow students at Aalto University School of Business and during the CEMS exchange, which helps you to build a successful career.
1. General admission requirements
The application must first fulfill the general eligibility requirements before it is sent to the Master's programme for academic evaluation. Read carefully the general admission requirements, information on admission groups, selection schedule, required application documents and application instructions on our website section Admissions.
The admission group depends on the degree you are applying with. Only applicants with a lower university degree in “Economics and Business Administration” completed in a university in Finland apply in Admission Group 1. The name of the degree is kauppatieteiden kandidaatti, KTK in Finnish. All other applicants apply in Admission Group 2. More information on admission groups is on the admissions page.
In addition to the general eligibility requirements, each Master's programme has programme-specific evaluation criteria.
2. Programme-specific requirements
Required previous studies
To be considered for admission the applicant must have completed at least 60 ECTS of business related studies (corresponding to one year of full time studies at university level).
1) Language 1: English Proficiency in English is an eligibility requirement for the programme. Acceptable proof of proficiency:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s level university degree completed entirely in English (1) at an institution physically located in: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand; or (2) in a CEMS/ Equis / AACSB accredited institution (e.g. Aalto)
- One of the following language tests (minimum score): IELTS (7.0; writing 5.5), TOEFL (iBT100, writing 22), CAE (B), CPE (C).
2) Language 2: One of the following languages: Arabic, Bengali, Cantonese, Czech, Danish, Dutch/Afrikaans, Farsi/Tajik, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Indonesian/Malay, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbo-Croat (Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, Montenegrin), Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish and Vietnamese.
- This requirement is fulfilled if your mother tongue is one of the listed languages. Proof for mother tongue, e.g. school certificate of primary/secondary education or certificates issued by official authorities, must be submitted with the application.
- Proficiency at B1/B2 CEFR-level in one of the listed languages. Proof must be submitted with the application.
The applicants that fulfill the above requirements of previous studies and languages are ranked according to the criteria below.
PHASE I: Application documents
1) Academic excellence
GPA of previous degree and assessment of overall study success. Applicants with a weighted GPA of previous degree lower than 3.50 (Finnish ECTS evaluation) are not eligible for admission. The ECTS verbal grade equivalent for GPA 3.50 is “very good” (ECTS grading scale 1-5; where 5 is the highest grade).
2) Motivation video
To demonstrate their motivation for studies in the programme the applicants are required to make a max. 2-minute video in English on the topic: ‘How will the Global Management programme together with CEMS MIM help me towards my professional goals?’, further divided into three questions:
- Why am I applying to this programme?
- Why would specifically the Global Management programme together with CEMS MIM advance my career?
- Why should I be selected?
The comprehensive CV evaluation takes into account relevant education, work experience, and extracurricular activities, as well as international orientation as demonstrated by e.g. work, studies, or extracurricular activities abroad, participation in various international or inter-cultural activities in home country, and knowledge of and interest in learning foreign languages.
Work experience in the CV must be documented by enclosing corresponding work/internship certificates. English translations of these are not required.
4) GMAT score (or comparable GRE score)
GMAT or GRE is obligatory in admission group 2 (minimum score 550 in GMAT or equivalent GRE score).
For the Finance specialisation area GMAT/GRE is required in both admission groups, with a minimum score of 650.
PHASE II: Interview and further assessment
Based on the evaluation in phase I, the best applicants are allotted a time for a Skype interview and further assessment, including a 5-minute presentation on a pre-assigned topic. The interview and assessment time given to each applicant is non-negotiable.
PHASE III: Allocation to specialisation areas
The selection of applicants into the programme is based on phases I and II described above. In the third phase, the applicants are allocated into one of the specialisation areas based on their ranking in phases I and II and the preference order indicated in their application form.
Applicants can list up to six (1-6) specialisation areas in the order of preference. An applicant can be selected only to one of the specialisation areas indicated in the application form. The given list of the specialisation areas and the order of preference is binding and cannot be changed after the application period has ended.
A selected applicant is offered a study place in the Global Management programme (including CEMS MIM) and one specialisation area which cannot be changed.
Location: Aalto University School of Business, Töölö Campus, Helsinki
- For information on admissions and applying instructions, please read carefully the Admissions section on our website. After reading the section, if you have general admission questions, you can contact Admission Services at admissions [at] aalto [dot] fi.
- If you have questions about the programme or the programme-specific requirements on this page, please contact the programme:
CEMS Programme Managers
Liisa Kotilainen, liisa.kotilainen [at] aalto [dot] fi, +358 40 3538166
Arja Sahlberg, arja.sahlberg [at] aalto [dot] fi, +358 40 3538165
CEMS Academic Director
Professor Rita Järventie-Thesleff, rita.jarventie-thesleff [at] aalto [dot] fi, +358 50 3482051
Information on the studies in the Master's Programme in Global Management (in the academic year 2017-2018) is available in the online Study Guide.