Master's Programme in Computer, Communication and Information Sciences - Security and Cloud Computing
Master of Science (Technology).
Field of Study:
Technology and Engineering
2 years, full-time
An appropriate Bachelor´s degree or an equivalent qualification.
Tuition fees & scholarships:
Yes, for non-EU citizens.
Language of Instruction:
2017-12-15 - 2018-01-24
Acquire a world-class education in information security at Aalto University!
Studies in Security and Cloud Computing give students a broad understanding of the latest and future technologies for secure mobile and cloud computing systems. Students will gain both practical engineering knowledge and theoretical insights into
- secure systems engineering,
- distributed application development,
- network and service architectures, and
- mobile and cloud platforms.
We believe in combining theoretical knowledge and security expertise with product development skills.
The major covers fundamental concepts, methods and the latest technologies on secure systems engineering, distributed application development, ubiquitous computing, network and service architectures, ubiquitous computing, and cloud and mobile computing platforms.
The studies are closely bound to the research conducted by the teachers, for example, on the Internet of Things, pervasive and ubiquitous computing, cloud platforms and services, mobile platform security, and network security. Special attention is paid to security and privacy issues as they are critical requirements in developing and deploying services in open networks and distributed systems.
The teaching methods combine theory with hands-on exercises and software development on mobile devices and cloud platforms.
As learning outcomes, the students of Security and Cloud Computing major will
- have the theoretical understanding of information security and practical skills necessary for designing and analyzing secure computing systems;
- understand the architectural principles of distributed services and applications.
They are also able to design, analyse and implement distributed, mobile and cloud computing systems.
Focused curriculum with flexibility
Security and Cloud Computing provides a focused plan for two-year Master’s studies. However, students are welcome to personalize their studies and include other topics in computer science, mathematics and communications technology to their degree.
The curriculum offers many opportunities for students to create connections to local and international industry already during the studies. Several of the professors in Security and Cloud Computing have long experience of working in industrial R&D. Students in this major will become members of Helsinki-Aalto Center for Information Security (HAIC).
Exchange and double-degree options
We offer ready-planned exchange and a double-degree arrangement with ITMO University for students who want to spend the second autumn semester or the second year abroad. Thus, the major brings together both Finnish and international students and gives you the experience of working in a diverse international environment. Read more >>
The graduates will have strong software development skills and other technical and professional skills that enable them to take key roles in an industrial research and development environment. Thus, they are well prepared for industrial R&D jobs, security engineering and consulting, various expert roles, and doctoral studies at Aalto University and abroad.
Typical job titles of recent graduates include e.g. Application Developer, Frontend Engineer, GIS Software Developer, Information Security Specialist, IT Specialist, Security Consultant, Software Developer, Software Engineer, Software Security Architect,…
Our recently graduated alumni work e.g. in the following companies: Acelvia, Creanord, DNA, Ericsson, F-Secure, Frosmo, Futurice, Houston Inc., IBM, KONE, Likeit Solutions, MediSapiens, Nixu Corporation, Second Nature Security, Solinor, Reaktor, RELEX Solutions, Smartly.io, Vainu.io,…
Non-EU/EEA students selected to the programme will be charged tuition fees. They are eligible to apply for scholarships awarded from the Aalto University Scholarship programme. See further information >>
In addition, the Helsinki-Aalto Center for Information Security (HAIC) will select a number of top applicants admitted to the Security and Cloud Computing major as HAIC Scholars. A HAIC Scholar will receive generous financial aid which may consist of tuition fee waivers and living cost support in the form of living cost scholarships or Honours student positions (part-time research related employment during the semesters). All applicants for the Security and Cloud Computing major are automatically considered for the HAIC Scholar positions.
General admission requirements
Applications that fulfill the general eligiblity requirements are sent to the academic evaluation described in more detail below.
Programme-specific admission requirements
The joint admission criteria to the Computer, Communication and Information Sciences programme is a high quality Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, communications engineering, or electrical engineering. Excellent candidates with degrees in other fields such as information systems, engineering, natural sciences, mathematics or physics will be considered if they have sufficient studies and proven skills and knowledge according to the requirements.
The required background for the Security and Cloud Computing major includes sufficient skills in:
- mathematics (linear algebra, calculus, probability theory, statistics, and discrete mathematics)
- good programming skills
- algorithms and data structures
- theory of computing
- computer networks
- software engineering
- project and team work
Knowledge of the following areas is considered an advantage:
- additional knowledge of mathematical methods
- mobile applications
- web software and online services
- operating systems
- distributed computing
- embedded systems
- advanced computer networking
- information security and cryptography
Learn more about the evaluation of applications
The student selection process is competitive and the best applicants are selected according to the following evaluation criteria:
- Content of the previous degree(s)
- The contents of the applicant’s previous degree(s) are evaluated based on the courses available on the official transcript of records and the course descriptions submitted. The applicant is expected to have completed sufficiently studies in the major-specific subject areas (see above). Relevant work experience, professional certificates and/or online courses are judged case-by-case, but they do not, in general, compensate for the university level studies that include also the theoretical foundations of the required subjects.
- Study success: grades achieved and pace of studies
- The applicant’s study success will be evaluated based on the grade point average (GPA) and results in key courses. Very good previous study success is expected. The minimum GPA for applicants from Finnish universities of applied science is 4.0. Applicants with GPA below the limit cannot be admitted unless they have other exceptional qualifications. Programme’s courses or equivalent courses completed in open university or as non-degree studies with excellent grades may support the application.
- Recognition and quality of applicant’s home university
- The recognition of the applicant’s home university affects the final interpretation of the previous academic performance.
During the evaluation of eligible applications, the applicant’s previous study success and contents of the previous degree(s) are checked first. Only the applications who pass this preliminary evaluation will be evaluated against the full set of criteria.
- Motivation and commitment to studies in the programme
- Other relevant achievements (work experience, publications, etc.)
- Language proficiency
In the final phase of the academic evaluation, the applicants who passed the preliminary evaluation, are ranked and the best applicants are selected. The programme does not have a minimum quota to be fulfilled, and not all eligible applicants will necessarily be admitted. The selection process is paper-based.
Studies in the Master’s programme should provide genuinely new knowledge for the applicant. If the applicant already has a Master’s degree, the motivation letter should clearly indicate why another Master’s degree is necessary. In most cases, non-degree or e.g. open university studies are recommended instead of degree studies to complement the earlier degree or to improve one’s professional skills.
In addition to the compulsory application documents, the applicants are requested to provide the following, additional documents:
- at least one original recommendation letter (preferably academic)
- course descriptions of courses taken in relevant subject areas (see the subject list above)
- work certificates and certificates of other relevant achievements
- copies of any publications
- official transcript of records for other university studies which are not included in the mandatory part of the application
- GRE or GMAT test results, if available
The application should explain full educational history of the applicant.
Applicant’s motivation letter (compulsory part of the online application form) should be written in English. Also additional application documents described above (recommendations letter(s), course descriptions, work or other certificates, and publications) should preferably be submitted in English. If some other language than English, Finnish or Swedish is used in them, the applicant must provide precise, word-for-word translations of them.
Location: Aalto University School of Science, Otaniemi Campus, Espoo
- For enquiries regarding the application process, compulsory application documents or language requirements, please read instructions first. If you cannot find an answer to your question, contact Aalto University Admission Services at admissions [at] aalto [dot] fi.
- For enquiries regarding the contents of studies or additional application documents, please contact Master Admissions at the School of Science at masters-sci [at] aalto [dot] fi.