Master's Programme in ICT Innovation (EIT Digital Master School) - Human-Computer Interaction and Design
Master of Science (Technology).
Field of Study:
Technology and Engineering
2 years, full-time
An appropriate Bachelor´s degree or an equivalent qualification.
Tuition fees & scholarships:
Yes, for non-EU citizens.
Language of Instruction:
2017-11-15 - 2018-02-01
The EIT Digital Master School offers a two year education in which you can choose two universities in two different European countries, building a curriculum of technical courses combined with innovation and entrepreneurship studies.
The Human-Computer Interaction and Design (HCID) major focuses on study, design, development and evaluation of novel user interfaces and interactive systems taking into account human aspects, at the cognitive and sensory-motor levels, technological aspects, as well as business aspects.
The studies include courses on design and evaluation of interactive systems with a strong emphasis on user-centered design techniques:
- understanding the human capacities and consequences of using information technology as a tool for solving work related tasks, and
- developing and evaluating the systems by putting the user at the center of the design process.
The first year of the programme is offered by Aalto University, KTH, University Paris-Sud, University of Twente or Technical University of Madrid UPM. It comprises of the courses in the following core areas, complemented with the courses of the entrepreneurial minor:
- Introduction Human-Computer Interaction
- User-Centred Design Methods
- Programming of Interactive systems
- Evaluation techniques
- HCID-driven Design Project
During the second year of studies, the student chooses a spesialisation option offered in one of the seven exit point universities: Aalto University, KTH, University Paris-Sud, University of Twente, Technical University of Madrid UPM, TU Berlin or University of Trento. The specialisation option offered at Aalto University is User Modeling for Advanced Human-Computer Interaction.
- Aalto offers a specialisation in advanced machine learning techniques for modelling users and their interactions with computers. The students will learn how to apply advanced machine learning techniques for modeling users and their interactions with computers with the possibility to apply the gained knowledge in their own research project. Elective topics include neural networks, speech recognition and algorithmic data mining and model-based user interface design.
Specialisations mandatory course is:
- Machine Learning: Basic Principles (5 ECTS)
Specialisation's elective courses can be selected e.g. from the following list:
- Deep Learning (5 ECTS)
- Computer Vision (5 ECTS)
- Speech Recognition (5 ECTS)
- Computational User Interface Design (5 ECTS)
- Algorithmic Methods of Data Mining (5 ECTS)
Read more about the HCID studies at Aalto University from our Study Guide.
Admission to the EIT Digital Master School majors
The ICT Innovation programme has separate application periods and admission procedures than the rest of the Master's programmes offered by Aalto University. Further information on the admission can be found from the EIT Digital Master School website for prospective students (masterschool.eitdigital.eu).