Master’s Programme in Global Management
Master of Science in Economics and Business Administration.
Field of Study:
Business and Economics
2 years, full-time
An appropriate Bachelor´s degree or an equivalent qualification.
Language of Instruction:
2016-12-15 - 2017-01-25
Are you interested in building a successful international career? The Global Management programme with CEMS Master’s in International Management equips students with skills and know-how needed to act as game changers in tomorrow’s global business environment.
CEMS – global quality
CEMS is a global alliance of 30 leading business schools, close to 80 multinational companies and NGOs which together offer the top-ranked, international and practice-oriented CEMS Master’s in International Management (MIM) programme. Globally more than 1000 students enroll in CEMS MIM every year and there are over 10 000 CEMS alumni of 81 nationalities working in 75 countries.
Consistently ranked among the top in the world by the Financial Times, the CEMS MIM unites multinational companies and international-caliber professors from leading universities and business schools.
Earn two qualifications at the same time
The Master’s Programme in Global Management (GM) offers the students two highly prestigious qualifications: MSc in Economics and Business administration granted by Aalto University School of Business and CEMS Master’s in International Management (MIM) granted by CEMS, the Global Alliance in Management Education.
The programme consists of:
1. a specialisation track with a Master’s thesis in one of the following areas:
- Corporate Communication
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management
- Management and International Business
- Marketing or
- Strategy; and
2. CEMS MIM studies conducted at Aalto University and at another CEMS school.
During their first MSc year, students complete the specialisation track courses and the Master’s thesis. The second year incorporates most of the CEMS MIM components, including an exchange semester at another CEMS school.
In addition to the Aalto MSc degree, the student has to complete an international internship and fullfil CEMS MIM language requirements in order to obtain the CEMS MIM diploma.
The Global Management MSc programme with CEMS MIM has a fixed, carefully designed curriculum, and it calls for ambitious students interested in growing professionally as well as personally to assume ethical and responsible leadership roles in the future.
You learn to solve interdisciplinary problems in an international context and are encouraged to adopt an analytical and critical approach in lectures, discussions and project works.
The CEMS Corporate partners contribute to numerous curricular activities:
- Real-life course cases
- Business projects
- Seminars on practical skills
- Company visits
Outside of academic activities your student life is enriched by activities of the CEMS Club and other student associations. The CEMS experience continues even beyond graduation in the global alumni network.
Please see www.cems.org for more information of the global alliance and the CEMS MIM Programme.
Global Management programme grows confident, agile, and reflective decision-makers that will be able to apply innovative solutions to complex international business challenges. In addition you will be able to specialise in your chosen discipline.
Upon completion of the programme you will be able to:
- Execute effective business decision-making and change management in diverse global contexts;
- Apply modern management and leadership skills developed through systematic engagement with the corporate world;
- Master deeper knowledge in your specialisation area;
- Champion responsible business decision-making, leadership and citizenship, informed by ethical reasoning, personal integrity, and respect for social diversity.
The graduates of the CEMS MIM programme have exceptionally good career perspectives. Over 90 % of all CEMS-graduates are employed in less than 3 months from their graduation. Almost half of them work outside of their home country and approximatelly 40 % now work for a CEMS Corporate Partner.
See the descriptions of the focus areas to find out more about the career prospects specific to the different fields: Accounting, Corporate Communication, Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship, Finance, Management and International Business, Marketing and Strategy.
In addition to acquiring knowledge and a wide skill set, you can build a lifelong network of contacts with your fellow students at Aalto School of Business and during the CEMS exchange, which helps you to build a successful career.
1. General admission requirements
The application must first fulfill the general eligibility requirements before it is sent to the Master's programme for academic evaluation. Read carefully the general admission requirements, information on admission groups, selection schedule, required application documents and application instructions on our website section Admissions.
The admission group depends on the degree you are applying with. Only applicants with a lower university degree in “Economics and Business Administration” completed in a university in Finland apply in Admission Group 1. The name of the degree is kauppatieteiden kandidaatti, KTK in Finnish. All other applicants apply in Admission Group 2. More information on admission groups is on the admissions page.
In addition to the general eligibility requirements, each Master's programme has programme-specific evaluation criteria.
2. Programme-specific requirements
The eligibility criteria of the Global Management Programme (and CEMS MIM) are:
- 60 ECTS of business related studies (corresponding to one year of full time education at university level)
- Language requirements (see details below).
Language 1: English
Proficiency in English is an entry requirement for the programme. Acceptable proof for proficiency:
- A Bachelor’s / Master’s level university degree completed entirely in English at an institution physically located in one of the following countries: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand; or
- A Bachelor’s / Master’s level university degree completed entirely in English in a CEMS / Equis / AACSB accredited institution physically located in an EU/EEA country (e.g. Aalto University) or
- One of the following commercial exams (minimum score), CAE (B), IELTS (7.0; writing 5.5), TOEFL (iBT100, writing 22), CPE (C).
Language 2 (for CEMS MIM):
One of the following languages: Arabic, Bengali, Cantonese, Czech, Danish, Dutch/Afrikaans, Farsi/Tajik, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Indonesian/Malay, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbo-Croat (Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, Montenegrin), Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish and Vietnamese.
- This requirement is fulfilled if your mother tongue is one of the listed languages. Proof for mother tongue, e.g. a school certificate or certificates issued by official authorities, must be submitted with the application.
- If your mother tongue is not one of the listed languages, you will need to prove language proficiency at B1/B2 CEFR-level in one of them.
The academic evaluation is divided into three phases.
PHASE I: Application documents
In Phase I, the applicants are evaluated based on the following criteria:
1) Academic Excellence
Evaluation based on weighted GPA of previous degree and assessment of overall study success. Applicants with weighted GPA of previous degree below ‘good’ (corresponding to lower than 3.00 in the Finnish ECTS evaluation) are not eligible for admission.
To demonstrate their motivation for studies in the programme the applicants will make a max. 2-minute video in English under topic: ‘How will the Global Management programme together with CEMS MIM help me towards my professional goals?’
- Why am I applying to this programme?
- Why would specifically the Global Management programme together with CEMS MIM advance my career?
- Why should I be selected?
The video upload link will be open only during the application period. Maximum file size for upload is 250 Mb. Please label the video file clearly with your last name and first name. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that the video can be played with the most common programs such as VLC media player and Windows Media Player.
The comprehensive CV evaluation takes into account all proof of international orientation (work, studies and extracurricular activities abroad), knowledge of and interest in learning foreign languages, and relevant work experience and extracurricular activities.
Work experience in CV must be documented by enclosing corresponding work certificates.
4) GMAT / GRE
GMAT or GRE is obligatory in admission group 2 (minimum score 550 in GMAT or equivalent GRE score). For the Finance focus area GMAT/GRE is required in both admission groups.
5) Occupational Personality Questionnaire (OPQ)
All applicants who pass the administrative check are invited to complete an OPQ online questionnaire. The test must be completed within the given one-week time window and the results will be forwarded directly from the system to Aalto University.
PHASE II: Skype interview
Based on the evaluation in Phase I, the best applicants are allotted a time for a Skype interview. The 30-minute interview will include a 5-minute presentation on a pre-assigned topic, followed by a structured interview. The individual interview time given to each applicant is non-negotiable.
PHASE III: Allocation to focus areas
The selection of applicants into the Global Management programme and CEMS MIM is based on phases I and II described above. In the third phase, the applicants will be allocated into one of the Focus areas based on their ranking in phases I and II and the preference order indicated in their application form.
Applicants can list up to seven (1-7) Focus areas in the order of preference. An applicant can be selected only to one of the Focus areas indicated in the application form. The given list of the focus areas and the order of preference is binding and cannot be changed after the application period has ended.
A selected applicant is offered a slot in the Global Management programme (including CEMS MIM) and one specified focus area, which cannot be changed.
Location: Aalto University School of Business, Töölö Campus, Helsinki
- For information on admissions and applying instructions read carefully the Admissions section on our website. After reading the section, if you have general admission questions, you can contact Admission Services at admissions [at] aalto [dot] fi. If you have questions about the programme-specific requirements, please contact the programme:
- CEMS Programme Managers
Liisa Kotilainen, liisa.kotilainen [at] aalto [dot] fi, +358 40 3538166
Arja Sahlberg, arja.sahlberg [at] aalto [dot] fi, +358 40 3538165
CEMS Academic Director
Professor Rita Järventie-Thesleff, rita.jarventie-thesleff [at] aalto [dot] fi, +358 50 3482051