Master's Programme in Corporate Communication
Master of Science in Economics and Business Administration.
Field of Study:
Business and Economics
2 years, full-time
An appropriate Bachelor´s degree or an equivalent qualification.
Language of Instruction:
2016-12-15 - 2017-01-25
The Master’s Programme in Corporate Communication is a globally unique university programme that views corporate communication as a business function and combines it with international business and management.
Communication is the key ingredient of organizations, leadership, and the society as a whole. In the world that has brought communication and media to everyone’s fingertips, the Master’s Programme in Corporate Communication gives you an in-depth understanding of the dynamics of media and communication and teaches you how to manage communications strategically.
In the Corporate Communication Master’s Programme, you will get insight into a broad range of issues that help you understand the strategic role of communication in contemporary organizations, including
- leadership communication
- employee communication
- investor relations
- issues management
- change and crisis communication, and
- media management.
As you develop your professional competence in the fields of corporate communication and media management, you will learn, for example, how to
- manage international corporate communications
- manage internal and external stakeholder relations and
- participate in corporate strategy work.
Throughout the programme, you will get the opportunity to challenge yourself and develop the skills needed for a variety of multicultural and multilingual situations through many problem-based learning activities.
As a programme, we value diversity. We recruit students interested in media and communication practice from all around the world, with different backgrounds. As our student, you can have a background in e.g. management, marketing, communication or cultural studies.
The Corporate Communication Master’s Programme gives you a unique education in how to manage communication and media strategically for the benefit of employees, organizations and the broader society.
Upon graduating from the Corporate Communication programme, you will be able to
- manage the stakeholder relations involved in the various specialist areas of corporate communication
- analyse, plan and conduct corporate strategy work from the perspective of communication
- apply appropriate theory and methods to produce new knowledge related to communication and media
- argue convincingly and demonstrate excellent communication skills.
In addition, you will have a deep understanding of
- the strategic role of corporate communication for business operations
- the specialist areas of corporate communication, e.g. media relations, employee communication, investor relations, issues management, change and crisis communication
- communication as social interaction
- the theoretical foundations of communication and media research.
As a graduate of Corporate Communication, you will have broad career prospects in specialist and executive positions within the areas of communication, management and international business.
Examples of positions that the programme prepares you for include
- communications manager
- communication specialist
- communication consultant
- communication trainer and
- research positions.
In the job market there is an increasing demand for the particular competence you acquire in the Corporate Communication Programme. This competence includes in-depth business knowledge, an understanding of the impact of globalization on business activities, and a thorough knowledge of strategic communication.
1. General admission requirements
The application must first fulfill the general eligibility requirements before it is sent to the Master's programme for academic evaluation. Read carefully the general admission requirements, information on admission groups, selection schedule, required application documents and application instructions on our website section admissions. See also language requirements.
In addition to the general eligibility requirements, each Master's programme has programme-specific evaluation criteria.
2. Programme-specific requirements
The admission group depends on the degree you are applying with. Only applicants with a lower university degree in “Economics and Business Administration” completed in a university in Finland apply in Admission Group 1. The name of the degree is kauppatieteiden kandidaatti, KTK in Finnish. All other applicants apply in Admission Group 2. More information on admission groups is on the admissions page.
The applicants will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Earlier academic performance and content of previous studies
- Motivation for studies in the programme. To demonstrate their motivation and also the ability to argue their case, the applicants will make a max. 2-minute video in English, where they discuss e.g. the following questions:
1. Why am I applying to this particular program?
2 Why should I be accepted?
3. What areas in communication management are challenging today? Why?
4. What is my own experience of research and what, for example, could be my own research focus in the Master’s Thesis?
- In addition, in Admission group 2: GMAT/GRE test score
Previous academic performance and the GMAT/GRE score (in admission group 2) are the two most important criteria.
Instructions for submitting the video: The maximum 2-minute motivation video is submitted on a usb, cd or dvd with the other application documents by mail. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that the video can be played with the most common programs such as VLC media player and Windows Media Player. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure that the usb/cd/dvd is properly packed so that it does not break during postal delivery.
Location: Aalto University School of Business, Töölö Campus, Helsinki
- For information on admissions and applying instructions please read carefully the Admissions section on our website.
- Information on the studies in the Master's Programme in Corporate Communication (in the academic year 2016-2017) is available in the online Study Guide.
- After reading all the instructions on our website, if you have general questions on admission and applying, you can contact admissions [at] aalto [dot] fi
- For questions concerning studies or academic evaluation of the programme, please contact Study Coordinator Berit Söderholm, +358 40 3538199, CC-coordinator-les-biz [at] aalto [dot] fi. For further information on programme content, you can contact Programme Director Leena Louhiala-Salminen, +358 40 353 8201, leena.louhiala-salminen [at] aalto [dot] fi. General admission questions should be sent to Admission Services.