Master's Programme in ICT Innovation (EIT Digital Master School) - Cloud Computing and Services
Master of Science (Technology).
Field of Study:
Technology and Engineering
2 years, full-time
An appropriate Bachelor´s degree or an equivalent qualification.
Tuition fees & scholarships:
Yes, for non-EU citizens.
Language of Instruction:
2018-02-15 - 2018-04-15
The EIT Digital Master School offers a two-year education in which you can choose two universities in two different European countries, building a curriculum of technical courses combined with innovation and entrepreneurship studies.
The major of Cloud Computing and Services focuses on a broad range of applications, such as, electronic commerce, mobile services, online social networks, peer-to-peer systems, and Web services. What is common to all of these applications is that information sources and control are decentralised over the network and multiple data centres and their underlying systems become distributed, reconfigurable and adaptive. All this makes the process of developing distributed software systems significantly more complex than for centralised systems.
During the first year, a similar set of courses are offered at the four involved entry points Aalto University, TU Berlin, University Rennes 1 and TU Delft. This includes distributed systems, advanced network technologies, service technologies and cloud programming models. In addition, some elective courses may be chosen to prepare for a specialisation. An important part of the programme are also the Innovation and & Entrepreneurship (I&E) courses.
During the second year of studies, the student chooses a spesialisation option offered in one of the six exit point universities: Aalto University, TU Berlin, University Rennes 1, TU Delft, KTH, or Université Paris-Sud. The specialisation option offered at Aalto University is Mobile Services.
- The focus of Aalto is on mobile cloud computing: connecting mobile phones and other wireless devices to cloud services, innovating new mobile cloud computing applications, and studying the technical challenges related to their development. Most of the courses have assignments, often done in groups, where students have a chance to apply the theory and learn the skills needed for the development of mobile cloud computing solutions. In the seminar courses students learn research skills, scientific writing and presentation skills while working on topics originating from Aalto research groups and its industry partners. In the Master’s thesis project, the students will work with the industry partners or the active startup community around the Helsinki node of EIT Digital.
Specialisation's mandatory courses (15 ECTS) include:
- Scalable Cloud Computing (5 ECTS)
- Mobile Cloud Computing (5 ECTS)
- Seminar in Computer Science (5 ECTS)
Specialisation's elective courses can be selected from the following list:
- Parallel and Distributed Systems (5 ECTS)
- Laboratory Works in Networking and Security (5 ECTS)
- Mobile Systems Programming (5 ECTS)
- Applications and Services in Internet (5 ECTS)
- Information Security (5 ECTS)
- Network Security (5 ECTS)
- Methods and Tools for Network Systems (5 ECTS)
Read more about the Cloud Computing and Services studies at Aalto University from our Study Guide.
Admission to the EIT Digital Master School majors
The ICT Innovation programme has separate application periods and admission procedures than the rest of the Master's programmes offered by Aalto University. Further information on the admission can be found from the EIT Digital Master School website for prospective students (masterschool.eitdigital.eu).