Already over 2700 students graduated from the Korean EMBA program
Executive Education offered by the Aalto Executive MBA program (EMBA) has been customized for business professionals with strong leadership and management experience.
The program covers the most important sectors in the fields of strategy, marketing, financial administration and leadership. The Aalto EMBA program, in addition to being offered in Helsinki, is also offered in Poland, Singapore, Korea, and Taiwan.
In Seoul, Korea, the EMBA program has been offered already since 1995. The program is produced jointly with The Seoul School of Integrated Sciences & Technologies. During the past years, approximately 2700 students have graduated from the Korea's EMBA, the Academic Dean of the program, Minna Hiillos D.Sc (Econ), tells.
The Korea's EMBA program was launched with the help of good and wide international cooperation networks of the former rector of Helsinki School of Economics, Veikko Jääskeläinen, explains Vice President Hannu Seristö who carries the responsibility for international relations for Aalto University.
– It is important to internationalize, and the start must be made somewhere. Korea has been an excellent learning process both for our academic as well as our administrative personnel. During the past 15 years, our EMBA program has become one of the most esteemed training programs in Korea for leadership, continues Seristö.
– As we all know, Korea is a very design-aware society, and Aalto University has thus been received there well, Seristö is happy to tell.
The extent of the program lasting 1.5 years is 60 ECTS credits. The modular structure of the program makes it possible to combine both work and private life in a reasonable way. The degree also includes a Helsinki Summer Program, in which all Korean students will participate by attending Aalto University's Executive Education. In addition, some Koreans will participate in Aalto EE international week in Helsinki, which will bring together 100 students from all Aalto EMBA programs. The Korean students complete three modules in Helsinki.
New perspectives and methods for the development of business
n the graduation ceremony on 16th February 2011, degrees were granted to approximately 200 students of whom 146 graduated from the EMBA Open 2009 program, 31 from the EMBA-Shinhan Bank program and 39 from the EMBA-KEPCO program. In addition to the open programs in Korea, each year 2-4 company-specific programs are run. Among these are the programs of some bank and energy companies referred to above.
One of the students who graduated last week is Ms Hyunjoo Shin, who works as Senior Director of RealNetworks in Seoul for the Asia-Pacific area and is in charge of consultation over solutions.
– During the EMBA program I learnt a lot about leadership and management skills and about new logics and methods with which to develop and change the area of business. The courses provided new perspectives to our current business and marketing activities, tells Hyunjoo Shin.
– The best in the whole of the program was networking with professionals, studying together and creating friendships. Sharing ideas and opinions during lectures was instructive, and I felt that we grew together. These belonged to the awesome topics also during the international week in Helsinki.
– The EMBA course was demanding and it has a busy schedule, but it certainly is worth it. My special thanks to the academic and other personnel of Korea's EMBA for all their support and guidance during the past 1.5 years, Hyunjoo sums up.
Text: Terhi Ollikainen