Aalto CareerWeb –channel for recruiting students
Aalto CareerWeb is an effective way to reach Aalto University's students - whether to offer a job or to invite them to your career event. It is also our channel to provide our students information on job hunting, career counseling and working life in general.
We publish thousands of adverts in Aalto CareerWeb in a year - e.g. jobs, internships, thesis assignments. Only students of Aalto University have access to the CareerWeb. Which is one of the reasons it’s very popular amongst our students.
Advertising in CareerWeb is free of charge for employers. You don't need to register but you can edit your adverts using your password.
Read the terms of publishing and guidelines for adverts (updated October 11, 2017) before writing and posting your advert. You'll find more detailed instructions also below.
Jobs and internships
- summer job
- part-time / full-time
- fixed term / permanent
- freelance assignment
- thesis assignment
Internships should support students' vocational development. Internship adverts for students in Aalto (except School of Arts and Design) should not be unpaid unless the internship takes place abroad (have to be mentioned in the headline of the advert).
Aalto University's internship practices differ from campus to campus. Read more about Hiring an Intern.
- More information on thesis can be found from the schools' web pages.
- Salary and other remuneration recommendations from the trade unions.
- Career Services secures the right to approve / reject the adverts.
- Career Services does not assume any responsibility for the information in the ads.
- Employer should always target the advert to at least one of the study fields taught in Aalto University.
- We do not publish anonymous adverts.
- In adverts concerning employee leasing the "employer" needs to be stated as "Company A / Company B". Company A being the company where the actual work is done and Company B the employer.
- We do not publish adverts concerning network marketing / multi-level marketing or voluntary work.
- We publish only ads that are suitable for Aalto University students.
- We do not publish non-paid jobs or internships nor adverts that require a registration fee from the students. However unpaid internships taking place abroad can be published if this information is visible already in the headline (unpaid / palkaton).
- We do not publish any adverts that require unemployment nor are looking for candidates for "recruiting programs"
- We do not accept adverts against Finnish laws (for example Non-Discrimination Act)
Description of data security and database
Personal and employer data contained by Aarresaari.net database are processed confidentially. More information is available in Aarresaari.net's Description of data security and database document (pdf only in Finnish).
Received a lot of applications? And too few matched your needs? Weren't there enough applications? Or did we reject your advert? Follow these guidelines and you'll get just the right amount of applications from just the right students.
General Guidelines for employers
- Career Services at Aalto University handles and publishes adverts within two working days.
- Adverts' maximum period of validity is four months.
- Students do not have access to the adverts after the last day of application informed in the ad.
- Only Aalto University students have access to Aalto CareerWeb.
- The adverts are in text form, there is no possibility to attach documents.
- Copying straight from pdf or other document (MS Word etc.) might cause disappearance of information and the system does not fix e.g. hyphenation, links, false wrapping.
- You may target your advert to one or more Aalto University study fields. If Career Services detects that the advert is not suitable for the study field or suites other study fields that you have chosen, we reserve the right to alter your choices.
- NOTE! Adverts with "Not education sector specific" in the Study field will be changed to correspond the fields taught in Aalto University. Our students browse the adverts using the study field choice. This will also have an affect to the Job Subscription Robot.
- If you discover technical problems, please be in contact with careerweb [at] aalto [dot] fi
Adverts field by field
You'll find guidelines for every field below. We update these instructions according to the feedback and questions received. If you have anything you wish to give feedback about or to point out missing guidelines, please send email to careerweb [at] aalto [dot] fi.
- A short heading, preferably, for example, the title of the position.
- If the title is very common like 'trainee', etc. it is good to clarify it with, for example, the field of the duties, "Trainee (communications)" or the location of the work "Controller (Vaasa)". The heading will be displayed for the students in the browse view listing open positions.
- Should not contain employer’s name.
- Should not be written in CAPS.
- Description of the responsibilities and required competence. The actual text of the advertisement.
- Itemise the knowledge, skills and competence required for the position.
- If you are offering a final thesis opportunity, you may describe the theme of the subject matter offered as well as wishes related to the competence of the student.
- The advertisement must not include illegal conditions.
- The more detailed the description of the work duties and terms of employment, the better the chance you have of the right kinds of applicants applying for the position.
Time and duration
- You may include your wish about the start date of the job or the start and end dates of fixed-term jobs.
Form of employment
- Select the appropriate alternative for the nature of the work. Students can search for advertisements based on your selection.
- In the case of final thesis offers, you may choose "other", if final thesis cooperation is other than an employment relationship.
- You may indicate the salary to be paid or, for example, the salary system or collective agreement according to which the salary will be paid.
- This field is not mandatory in job adverts, but it may help the student making the decision whether to apply.
- This field must be filled in internship adverts. We do not publish internship adverts without salary information (exception: internships abroad).
- The default "Open/Other" for all ads.
- Select the approximate location of the job. You may provide more detailed location information in the description field and the employer's address field.
- The date when the universities will publish or relay the job offer to the students.
- This can be set for a future date but not a past date.
- The date when the advertisement is removed from the universities' job exchange.
- This application period may be four (4) months on job ads and (6) months on internship offers at maximum.
- If you select "Open", the system will set the date to thirty (30) days from the date when the advertisement was submitted. This is a particularly good choice when the position is filled as soon as a suitable candidate has been found.
- Advertisements can be edited by the employer for three (3) months after the final application date. Editing takes place through an ad-specific edit link.
Additional information on the open position
- In the additional information field, you can provide more information about the employer or instructions for applying.
- Please provide links to, for example, recruitment pages in the website address field to ensure that they work.
Finnish language skills are not required for this position.
- If the job is suitable and the working environment does not require Finnish language skills, and the job suites our international students, you can mark your advert to help them finding it.
Choose field(s) of study
- Select the fields of education on whose students you wish to focus your advertisement.
- You must select at least one field.
- List of schools and their departments is provided below with links to the schools’ web pages. More information (overall) on studying in Aalto University can be found from http://studies.aalto.fi/en/.
- The name of the employer, for example in the format Company Oy (and/or Ab).
- In case of temporary work advertisements, both the temporary work agency and the organisation for which the work will be performed, for example "Temporary work agency/Company X".
- The name of a person who can provide applicants with additional information. This field can also be left blank.
Address, telephone number and e-mail address
- Address of the workplace or the employer
- Telephone number from which additional information about the advertisement can be obtained.
- E-mail address from which additional information related to the advertisement may be obtained or to which applications should be sent.
Website address, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
- The employer's website or pages related to recruitment should be entered in the format "http://...."
- This can be a link to the employer's website or social media channels in general or, for example, a direct link to the recruitment system
- The name of the person submitting the advertisement. This will not visible to students.
- The name will be at the disposal of the universities' administrators for further inquiries.
- Provide the e-mail address where you wish to receive the ad-specific edit link through which you may revise or remove the advertisement in question.
- If there is a mistake in the e-mail address, the system cannot deliver the edit link. An e-mail address cannot be added to the system afterwards.
- By ticking the box, you will give Aalto University Career Services permission to send notifications (news and information on the system) to the e-mail address you provided above.
Password for editing the advertisement
- Specify your own password for editing the advertisement. The password is ad-specific.
- The password must have at least eight characters and include letters and numbers. Special characters are also accepted.
- Memorise the password or write it down – the system will not deliver it to you.
- If you have forgotten the password, you can reset it through the edit link delivered by e-mail.
How long should the applying period be?
A few days long applying period might be enough, but usually not. Anything from two weeks to a month is very common. Our system sets the limit to four months.
I don't really know the Aalto University's set-up or the fields of study, how do I target my advert in a correct way?
The schools and departments are listed above. You'll find more useful information about Aalto University and it's six schools and much more at http://studies.aalto.fi/en. We also change the target group in the advert if it does not match your advert.
Why don't you publish anonymous adverts?
We want to secure that our students get the required amount of information when applying for a job. We also want to prevent fake adverts / employers using our system.
Do you accept temp and recruiting agencies' adverts?
Yes we do. You should state very clearly that the job is staff renting and the client's name.
We use the Aarresaari.net service, should we use the Aalto CareerWeb too?
If you wish to target your advert only to Aalto students, you may do it in both systems, there is no difference. We publish both the Aarresaari adverts and adverts on our own system. When using Aalto system, you'll get to choose the target group when using the Aalto CareerWeb.