Sustainability at Aalto University
Aalto University aims to integrate responsibility and sustainability in teaching and research as well as services.
- Sustainability and responsibility in teaching and research
- Sustainable campus
- Outreach, societal impact
Our mission sets an obligation to promote sustainable development. Our intention is to integrate sustainability and responsibility into all teaching and research as well as services, and to become sustainable university campus.
Aalto is the first Finnish university to join International Sustainable Campus Network, ISCN (international-sustainable-campus-network.org).
Reporting on sustainable development
- Aalto University Sustainability Report 2014, integrated to Annual Report (pdf)
- Aalto sustainability reports 2012, 2013
Sustainability reporting 2014, additional statistics
- Share of sustainability in scientific publications and research 2013 and 2014 (pdf)
- Share of sustainability in scientific publications and research by school (pdf)
- Consumption of electricity, heat and water by campus 2012-2014 (pdf)
- Waste amounts 2014 by bracket (pdf)
- Waste amounts by treatment type 2014 (pdf)
- Scope 3_Indirect CO2 emissions from business flights (pdf)
- Indicators for product and service procurement 2012-14 (pdf)
- Search words for sustainability reporting (research, publications) (pdf)
- Aalto University's commitment to Rio+20 objectives (rio20.euromed-management.com)
- The president's blog entry on Aalto University's commitment to Rio+20 objectives (blogs.aalto.fi)
- Nordic Climate Festival 2012 –event, publication (lib.tkk.fi)
- Blogs on national energy saving week (blogs.aalto.fi)
The intention of Aalto University is to promote the themes of sustainable development in line with the strategic priority areas.
These themes include e.g. sustainable use of energy and natural resources and a human-centric living environment. Aalto's sustainable development is realised in interdisciplinary cooperation with all six schools.
Examples of forms of cooperation:
- Creative sustainability (creativesustainability.info)
- Sustainable Global Technologies (sgtprogramme.fi)
- Principles of Responsible Management PRME (Aalto School of Business) (biz.aalto.fi)
- Aalto Energy Efficiency Research Programme (energyefficiency.aalto.fi)
- Aalto ARTS , sustainable development (arts.aalto.fi)
- Aalto MEMA Pro (aaltopro.aalto.fi)
- Merikotka research center – Aalto´s department of Applied Mechanics is improving the safety and sustainability of marine traffic (merikotka.fi)
- Bioeconomy (bioeconomy.aalto.fi)
- Water & Development research group (wdrg.fi)
- Aalto Energy Platform (aalto.fi)
- Social Acceptability Study (SAS) network (energytech.aalto.fi)
- Energy Garage in Otaniemi, learning platform for students, faculty and companies (energyscience.aalto.fi)
- FinSolar - Supporting the growth of Finnish solar business (www.finsolar.net)
We intend to be Finland's leading sustainable university campus in 2020. Our premises, instruments, equipment, materials and related services are of high quality and purposeful. They are being developed with a long-term perspective, cost-effectively and following the principles of sustainable development.
All service units participate in making the sustainable campus an everyday reality. The focus is on ecologically sustainable development, but social, cultural and economic aspects are also taken into account.
Aalto University Properties, energy pages (in Finnish)
Campus 2015 architectural competition
The aim of the project is to create a vibrant environment for research and learning activities on Aalto University's Otaniemi campus, in a sustainable manner with direct access to the coming metro station. Read more:
Campus 2015 (campus2015.aalto.fi)
Urban gardening in Otaniemi
Students and staff can rent their own garden plot at Otaniemi campus. News on Aalto Garden Otaniemi here.
Check also Lahopuutarha competition supporting biodiversity, in co-operation with Finnish Association for Nature Conservation.
Recycling on campuses and practices
Aalto University is an actor that understands, anticipates and influences the needs of society and promotes the welfare and quality of life of society and its members through high-quality research and instruction.
With regard to its approaches and work culture the university is a unique node of research, development and innovation.
- Aalto Global Impact (aaltoglobalimpact.org)
- Green Campus Alliance (greencampus.org.cn)
- Nordic Sustainable Campus Network (aalto.fi/nscn)
- Tongji Sustainable Campus Development (tongji.edu.cn)
- Innovative City® Partnership Programme (innovatiivinenkaupunki.aalto.fi/en)
- Greening Events in Helsinki Metropolitan area (greeningevents.fi/en)
- Gulf of Finland 2014 (gof2014.fi)
- LUMA Centre Otaniemi; mathematics, natural sciences and technology for young people (luma.aalto.fi)
Networks, memberships, partners
The sustainable development work is carried out through several networks and membership in several organisations. In addition, a number of partners participate in the sustainable development work.
- ISCN, International Sustainable Campus Network (international-sustainable-campus-network.org)
- Finnish Business and Society (fibsry.fi)
- Finnish ESD Forum (bup.fi)
- City of Helsinki, Climate Partners (ilmastokumppanit.fi)
- RCE Espoo network, Education for Sustainable Development (espoo.fi)
- Baltic University Programme (bup.fi)
- Finnish University Partnership for International Development (unipid.fi)
- The Association for Environmental Management (yjy.fi)
- University of Tampere (uta.fi)
- Yrkeshögskolan Novia (novia.fi)