Aalto University Schools and Units
Aalto University consists of six schools.
- School of Arts, Design and Architecture
- School of Chemical Technology
- School of Business
- School of Electrical Engineering
- School of Engineering
- School of Science
In addition, Aalto University has a couple of other units.
Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture was formed on 1 January 2012 when the former School of Art and Design and the Department of Architecture at the School of Engineering merged together.
The School of Arts, Design and Architecture is the largest of its kind in the Nordic countries and one of the most prestigious in the whole world. The school researches design, digital media, audiovisual presentation, art education and visual culture. The viewpoint of usefulness forms the foundation of artistic activity.
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Art
- Department of Design
- Department of Media
- Department of Film, Television and Scenography
- Media Centre Lume
- Western Finland Design Centre Muova
- Future Home Institute
- Designium Innovation Centre
Areas of emphasis for the School of Chemical Technology include environment-friendly and energy-efficient processes, the diverse utilisation of wood and other biomaterials, new materials and their application, new engine fuels, the shaping of micro-organisms and enzymes as well as novel pharmaceuticals and biomaterials.
- Department of Biotechnology and Chemical Technology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- Department of Forest Products Technology
The School of Business is one of the leading business schools in Europe and globally recognized for its management research and education in particular. It is the first Nordic business school to receive all three of the field’s international accreditations (AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS).
- Department of Accounting
- Department of Communication
- Department of Economics
- Department of Finance
- Department of Information and Service Economy
- Department of Management and International Business
- Department of Marketing
- Aalto University Executive Education (Aalto EE)
- Center for Markets in Transition (CEMAT)
- Center for Knowledge and Innovation Research (CKIR)
- Mikkeli Campus (BScBA Degree Program)
- Small Business Center
- Start-Up Center
- Service Factory
Important research areas at the School of Electrical Engineering include traditional electronics, electrotechnology and telecommunications technology. Micro- and nanotechnology have also been emphasised by researchers in recent years. There are almost two dozen research units, which focus on subjects ranging from acoustics to intelligent power electronics.
- Department of Automation and Systems Technology
- Department of Electronics
- Department of Micro- and Nanosciences
- Department of Radio Science and Engineering
- Department of Signal Processing and Acoustics
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Communications and Networking
- Metsähovi Radio Observatory
The School of Engineering researches and teaches fields that encompass all aspects of our built environment. Climate warming, energy conservation and the sustainable utilisation of natural resources form the focal areas of both research and education.
- Department of Energy Technology
- Department of Engineering Design and Production
- Department of Real Estate, Planning and Geoinformatics
- Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
- Department of Applied Mechanics
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Lahti Center
- Centre for Urban and Regional Studies YTK
- Center for Energy Technology (CET)
- Institute of Building Services Technology
The School of Science engages in world-class fundamental research, the results of which it uses to develop scientific and technological applications. The fields of computation and modelling, materials research as well as ICT and media account for a large share of the research performed at the School.
- Department of Biomedical Engineering and Computational Science
- Department of Mathematics and Systems Analysis
- Department of Media Technology
- Department of Applied Physics
- Department of Information and Computer Science
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Industrial Engineering and Management
- BIT Research Centre