Postdoctoral Researcher in Superconducting Quantum Circuits
The Department of Applied Physics is looking for a highly motivated postdoc to work on a project on superconducting quantum circuits, and on developing a many qubit processor for quantum computing and simulations. Daily tasks include working with a dilution refrigerator and other cryogenic tools, nanofabrication in the state-of-the-art clean room facilities of OtaNano, theoretical and numerical analysis, and measurement automation. Previous experience in some of these topics is beneficial, but strong candidates from other fields of physics are encouraged to apply as well.
This position is part of the Quantum Computer project that develops a scalable quantum computer in Finland. It is funded by the Technology Industries of Finland Centennial Foundation and Jane and Aatos Erkko Foundation and steered by a working group of ten group leaders including the following ERC grant recipients: Doc. Mikko Möttönen (QCD group), Prof. Jukka Pekola (PICO group), and Prof. Pertti Hakonen (Nano group). The recruited candidate will also be heavily involved with in the Finnish Centre of Excellence in Quantum Technology (QTF) that is an outstanding working environment with over 100 researchers investigating superconducting and silicon-based quantum devices, and nanostructures.
For further information of the available position, contact the head of the Quantum Computer working group Doc. Mikko Möttönen (email@example.com).
- Doctoral degree in condensed matter physics or equivalent on a topic of relevance. (Alternatively, proof that the applicant will have his/her doctoral thesis submitted before the start of the contract).
- Solid publication record in superconducting circuits or a closely related field
- Good command of English
- Strong drive towards excellence in science at the highest international level
- Good team working skills to engage the different groups of QTF
Experience on design, fabrication, measurement, and analysis of superconducting circuits and especially qubits is highly appreciated.
Salary and duration
A typical contract will be initially for two years with possible extension. For exceptional candidates, the first contract may also be made until the end of 2020. The earliest (and preferable) starting date is January 2018 (negotiable). The standard salary level of postdoctoral researchers is between EUR 3500 and EUR 3800/month following the guidelines of the department. The annual total workload of research and teaching staff at Aalto University is 1624 hours. The position will be located at the Aalto University Otaniemi Campus.
How to apply
Please apply through the link "Apply for this job" at the bottom of this page.
Application material should include (all documents in English):
- Letter of motivation (max. one page)
- Resume or CV (indicating at least your contact information, working history, list of publications, knowledge areas of physics and engineering, experimental skills, language skills, completed and ongoing university degrees indicating the grade point average, and honors and awards)
- Two letters of recommendation (or contact details of two possible referees)
Please, send your application as a single PDF file at your earliest convenience by the 30th of November 2017 through the recruitment system. (In the case of late applications, contact Doc. Mikko Möttönen directly.) Evaluation of the applications will start immediately.